Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

We went to see Jimmy Buffett again and it was

Posted by Kathy G on 6/21/05 at 16:38 (177176)

disappointing. He usually plays at Great Woods in Mansfield, MA every Labor Day weekend but this year, he played at the beginning of the season. Actually, it's now called the Tweeter Center but those of us who have been around for a while, still refer to it as Great Woods, as does Jimmy, just to annoy them.

The tickets are difficult to get but my husband knows someone with connections so we get them every year. Last year, he played Fenway Park and I didn't want to go there so we skipped it. For the last couple of years, he's been 'saying' his songs as so many older singers do because they've lost their voices but this year, he was able to sing. I read that he had taken vocal lessons for the first time and they really paid off.

That being said, he played lousy music: old obscure songs of his own and covers of songs by other performers that he should have left alone. It took me half the song to figure out that he was singing Dave Matthews, 'Trippin' Billies' because his arrangement and singing was so terrible. He came on fifteen minutes late and all in all, I felt it was a waste of almost $200. As far as I was concerned, he just phoned it in.

We don't do the tailgaiting thing nor do either of us drink but we did walk around the parking lot and saw a lot of funny costumes and people having a good time, barbequing their Cheeseburgers in Paradise but this trip to Margaritaville will be my last because Jimmy has to sing his own material or hang it up.

Re: We went to see Jimmy Buffett again and it was

KW on 6/21/05 at 19:50 (177182)

Bummer! I went to see Steve Miller Band a few years ago and they were pretty bad as well. I had seen them in the past and they were good, but I think that the years had finally caught up with them. Did he even play Margaritaville?

Kathy G on 6/22/05 at 09:32 (177211)

Yes, he played some of his classics and they were great. It's interesting; I just read a review of the concert in one of the Boston papers and they praised him for keeping his show 'current.' The other Boston paper gave him pretty much the same review as I did. It's not that I don't want him to sing other songs but he needs to choose material he can handle. He's not a great singer and a Jack Johnson or Dave Matthews he's not, and trying to cover their songs was just stupid. On the other hand, he does such a great job on 'Brown-Eyed Girl' and 'Southern Cross' that I almost forget that he wasn't the first to record those songs.

I can see where a performer can get sick of doing all the same music all the time but after all, the only reason Buffett is still selling out shows is because of those songs.

Maybe it has to do with how many of his shows you've seen. This was my twelfth or thirteenth. The best one I saw was one without a theme in which he sang just one hit after another. It was maybe ten years ago. It was great.

The fact that I've never paid that much for tickets could play a part in my disappointment, too. They were fantastic seats but we've had ones that good and even better and the price was much more reasonable.

My daughter, who's twenty-four, went to see the Steve Miller Band a couple of years ago and said the same thing. I just don't understand why some of these guys don't know when to quit. Another that comes to mind is Neil Diamond. He has absolutley no voice left and pretty much 'says' the words to his songs but he continues to perform. Of course, he continues to sell out, too. Maybe people are going more out of nostalgia than they are out of love of music.

Necee on 6/22/05 at 13:01 (177219)

There's nothing worse than leaving a concert feeling disappointed after you've spent your hard earned money on tickets.

Kathy, have you heard him sing with Alan Jackson? Their collaboration of Margaritaville wasn't the best recording, but it was fun to listen to.

I went to see ELVIS when I was about 19, and I'm still floating on cloud nine!!!!!!!! Come to think of it, I have his autograph, wonder if it's worth anything????? :)

Happy trails....

Necee

KW on 6/22/05 at 15:49 (177223)

I bet Elvis' autograph would be worth a lot! But probably not something you want to get ride of.

Re: Elvis autograph

Necee on 6/22/05 at 23:08 (177236)

I'd get rid of it in a heartbeat if the price was right!

:) Happy trails....

Necee

John H on 6/23/05 at 11:04 (177250)

My Squadron flew Elvis back from Europe when he was in the Army in the lat 50's. C-118 (DC-6B) from Frankfurt to McGuire AFB, N.J. We had the whole base their to greet him.

Necee on 6/23/05 at 12:07 (177254)

Yea, but do you have his autograph :) :) :)

Necee

Re: Elvis's autograph

Kathy G on 6/24/05 at 13:16 (177280)

It would be interesting to see how much it's worth, Necee. It's certainly worth a lot more than my autograph of Ted Williams. His son, John Henry, forged so many of Ted's autograph that no one would believe mine is real, and it is!

So John, did you get his autograph? Probably you were like a military pilot I knew when I was a kid. His plane was used to bring Jackie Kennedy someplace. When he got home, we all wanted to know what she was like, what was she wearing, etc. The only information he could come up with was that she was nice and he didn't notice what she was wearing!

John H on 6/27/05 at 11:39 (177367)

Kathy now I would like the autograph of JOHN HENRY the horse. That would really be worth something. I think he is retired now after winning millions and millions of dollars and living the good life.

Kathy G on 6/28/05 at 08:52 (177408)

There are many people, after the fiasco resulting in Ted William's remains being frozen, who considered John Henry Williams to have many of the traits of a horse! I shouldn't speak ill of the dead but John Henry was a strange man.

There's a farm a couple of streets away from me. If I get one of the horses' hoof prints, I'll send it to you and you can say it's from John Henry, the horse! :D