Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

a new shoe for me...

Posted by Suzanne D. on 6/21/05 at 20:30 (177186)

I recently ordered a pair of Stegmann slides from Sierra Trading Post - on sale for $39.95. The thing that caught my eye about these shoes were the cork orthotic footbeds which were removeable. They also seemed to be similar in style to the hard-to-find Birkenstock Santee slides which have been the best for my feet in the past year or more.

After breaking in these Stegmann shoes over the past several days, I can say that they are proving to be a great buy! I wanted to share this information for others looking for shoes; here is a link to the catalog page showing two styles of Stegmann slides. I bought the pair at the top of the page:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/EUI/controller.asp?N=0&Ntk=All&Ntt=stegmann%20slides&Nty=1&D=stegmann%20slides&Ntx=mode+matchallany&track=true&sid=42B758802621E17F

I did a search here to see if Stegmann shoes had been discussed and found quite a few posts from 1999 written by people who found them to be helpful.

Hope this information helps someone.
Suzanne :)

Re: a new shoe for me...

Kathy G on 6/22/05 at 09:43 (177213)

Those are sharp looking, Suzanne. I'm so glad they work for you. It's always nice to have something different to put on. And what a good price! I am considering wearing my Josef Seibel (sp?) sandals with my shorts one day to see how they would work out. It would be so nice to wear something besides running shoes with my orthotics!

They've worked at social occasions where I don't have to stand very much but I don't go to many of those!

susan o on 6/23/05 at 09:12 (177245)

I have found something finally to use as 'slippers'. SAS 'Relaxed' sandals. They are definitely NOT cute! But they are cushioned (including the straps), yet still give my arch some support. These likely wouldn't work for those of you with high arches. They have two adjustable straps across the top of the foot and one around the heel. Seems to be a combination last, think it would be better with a straight last, yet my foot seems to stay pretty stable in them. I can wear them to stand in the kitchen cooking, and have even worn them to do some shopping for an hour and come home without pain. They wouldn't be good for all day, I don't think, but they are nice to slip into at the end of a day.

JanP on 6/23/05 at 14:34 (177255)

Thanks Suzanne. I've bookmarked the site and may buy at a later date. I'm still adjusting to my Birks, but wearing them MOST of the time. So far so good!

Suzanne D. on 6/28/05 at 16:36 (177440)

Thanks, Kathy. I hope your Josf Seibel sandals work out for you with shorts!

Suzanne D. on 6/28/05 at 16:37 (177441)

I'm glad these work for you. I do think SAS makes good shoes. I am one of those who needs the extra arch support, but it's good to hear you can wear them.

Suzanne D. on 6/28/05 at 16:38 (177442)

I'm glad to hear the Birks are working for you! That makes me happy.

I'm still waiting to receive the right shoes from Germany; I hope they arrive before too much longer!

Julia H on 7/23/05 at 14:37 (178925)

Hi, I could use some help finding a good pair of walking/running shoes.

In a few months, I'm planning to go walking all over the UK (Partly to lose weight), but the very idea makes me wince in pain when I think of my feet and leg areas beneath the knees.

I have wide feet and a very flat arch. My general practitioner thinks I might have plantar fasciitis (In addition to a serious weight problem). I'm contemplating buying the Powerstep insert -- somewhere else on this site, I saw New Balance was recommended as it tends to come in wide sizes and so works better with inserts.

My current walking shoes are Saturn 2 by Spalding (Size 7 1/2 in a women's). They have some built-in arch support, but it doesn't seem to stop my arches from collapsing in pain after walking a couple miles.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a wide width pair of walking shoes with plenty of arch support? I promised myself that if I could make the pain go away, I would walk off the extra weight!

Julia H on 7/23/05 at 14:56 (178926)

Going back further through the threads, I see:

1. New Balance 991s
2. Brooks cushion shoes
3. Any others?

Now the question: Where can I find these shoes?

Observer on 7/23/05 at 16:11 (178932)

Julia

I love North Face Targas, which I've worn for the past five years. I have wide feet too, and these shoes have a wide, high toe box with plenty of room for my bunions as well as my orthotics. They're a real walking shoe, with deep tread, good support, and good cushioning. I do a lot of hiking in them on rough, hilly ground as well as on London pavements. I think they'd be worth your looking into. My last pair cost around ?55. I get them at the North Face shop in Southampton Street, Covent Garden. They're also stocked at Ellis Brigham, across the road, but the North Face shop have a wider selection.

Brooks shoes seem to be well liked. New Balance are (mostly) built for narrower feet, and I think, though I may be wrong, that the 991s are a running shoe.

Jan P on 7/23/05 at 17:39 (178944)

Okay, someone clue me in as to the differences between a walking and running shoe. I'm no shoe expert and not much of an athlete either, but it would seem like the needs would be much the same. I'd love to understand!

I can definitely tell the difference between my 'walking' NB 842's (with a rollbar) and the low numbered NB's that I bought before I knew better. My son has an 845? that looks like mine, but was supposed to be an athletic shoe. His has the rollbar too, so it seems to me that they should be much the same. Thanks in advance for educating me!

Julia H on 7/23/05 at 23:43 (178971)

Thank you. I will definitely look into Targas at North Face. I would much rather go to a store like this where I can try before I buy, than to buy online! For $100-200 bucks, the online purchase approach of shoes seems somewhat risky to me....And THIS is most definitely a very important purchase.

Margaret B on 8/31/05 at 13:57 (181498)

I got some Birks last summer and couldnt manage with them at all. The sandals had a raised bit under my heel exactly where i have the pain. Are there different shaped ones or are these kind proving good for some people?