Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

getting orthodics

Posted by cathie on 6/28/05 at 20:46 (177455)

I recently went to be measured for orthotics - haven't picked them up yet. My question is, when they are casting you for them - mine just had me step down sinking my feet into a foam pad box. But, a friend told me they actually wrapped her foot in a plaster to make hers. So did I go with the wrong kind of casting? Which is better?

Re: getting orthodics

Linda V on 6/29/05 at 07:43 (177467)

I had the same kind of fitting...only I was seated, and the C-Ped manipulated my leg and knee and pushed it into the foam. My orthotics are great, and I am now 95% healed from my PF. Hope you have the same fortunate results. Good luck.

Richard, C.Ped on 6/29/05 at 09:55 (177482)

When casting for an orthosis, the impression should never be taken standing. The foot is not in a neutral position. Also, the foot usually 'bottoms out' in the box, causing the foot to flatten and create a false heel.

If you stepped into the box in a seated position, this will also come out incorrect because the muscles will flex and will cause improper 'valleys' in the cast.

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/30/05 at 22:03 (177609)

ibid.
Ed

jeannie m on 7/02/05 at 15:37 (177727)

I had the same soft orthotics made but mine are very uncomfortable. Mine are very thick and high in the shoe and i wondered if yours are too. I have high arches and read of others with high arches who can't wear them. I had one foot partial fascia release 6 weeks ago and the doctor says i need to wear them but they hurt more than anything.I think they are too wide for my shoes.they don't sit down in the heel very well and So Thick. Any advise?Thanks

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/02/05 at 21:42 (177740)

By the way I prefer orthotics to orthodics every time.
Ed

Richard, C.Ped on 7/05/05 at 07:28 (177834)

Jeannie,
The orthosis was not interfaced properly with your shoes. Go back, and ask them to do this correctly.