Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

to Ron..

Posted by fernando on 6/29/05 at 02:41 (177464)

Hi Ron, I read your messages and I think my PF became fasciosis, I started working in a resraurant four years ago, 9 hours a day on my feet and heavylifting, about two years ago got Pf in the right foot, one year later in the left, the biggest mistake was that I never took some time off, I just could not afforded that, big, big mistake, I work though the pain for so long, until a month and a half ago when I could not take it anymore, after 6 weeks off I feel some improvment, it does not hurt when I touch my heels ( it used to be really painful ), tell me if rest is working for you as well, I tried ice and heat but I'm not really sure which one helps, patience is also very important, is very encoureging knowing that I'm not alone, sometimes I think I'm gonna live the rest of my life with this pain, I hope not, I'm 32 and 20 pounds overweight, is weight an issue for you??, for how long have you been resting your feet??

hope to keep in touch...

Re: to Ron..

Ron on 6/29/05 at 17:24 (177526)

Rest can only do so much good. Too much rest can cause atrophy.

Avoiding extremes is probably the best advice I can give. This has everything to do with not resting too much, because once normal activity resumes any activity might be too much activity. A sudden onset of activity has been noted as one factor in the onset of PF.

At the very least do toe crunches (with a towel) and toe raises with some resistance. (You can find these techniques elsewhere for more information.) If a certain excercise bothers your feet avoid it unless you know for sure it is helping out rather than causing problems. Your feet are overly sensitive to changes, so there's a risk to every therapy.

Ice your feet at night to discourage inflammation and relieve pain, while heating them in the morning to encourage blood flow. I don't know if one type of heat is better than another one, but dry heat is obviously more convenient. I've heard this ice-day/heat-night therapy mentioned elsewhere on this site, but it's only theory and it's best to find what works for you.

Don't take NSAIDS, or any anti-inflammatory, for extended periods without the advice of a physician.

Losing weight has helped many PF sufferers to relieve their pain. Weight is only a contributory factor, but it could be your answer for relief of pain while you work on an incremental healing routine. This latter part is so important.

The problem with this is you have to avoid the ups and downs of losing and gaining weight. I've said before to avoid extremes and this is no exception. When looking at a diet (or should I call it an eating plan?) question yourself if you can continue this eating routine for 12 months. Don't sacrifice the temporary for the permanent. It's best to make a steady climb up rather than falling on your arse and restarting repeatedly. Take this from experience, if nothing else.

Excercising is probably the single most important part of a diet routine. This may be a problem with PF but it can be done. Sit ups, leg raises, bar dips, bench press, push ups, etc..etc.., can all be done without affecting your feet.

Make sure you stretch before getting out of bed in the morning. That first morning walk will set the stage for the coming day. You might do more damage to your feet in those first steps than all day long.

This is what I do for morning stretches. They're really quite simple and only take a few moments. I'll lie on my back and raise my toes, that is dorsiflex my ankle (raise ankle toward shin) and hold for 2 to 5 seconds. I'll do that from one side to the next until I don't feel a stretch anymore. (There are other stretches and self massage techniques you could do mentioned elsewhere on this site).

When I step off the bed I'll put my feet right inside my slippers that have my orthotics in them. That way I'll be doubly sure my feet won't hurt when I walk at first. Then I'll take a hot shower right after which will loosen up my legs up even more.

When stretching, only do so in a nonweight-bearing position (that is sitting or lying). For a muscle to be stretched it must be relaxed. The muscles should be warmed up before stretching, too. It's a great idea to incorporate an excercise routine with a stretching routine.

The reason why toe raises (mentioned above) is so great for the feet is that for starters they put you in a nonweight-bearing position and also this technique has natural limiters on dorsiflexion. You simply can't go too far with them. I can't say the same for other stretching techniques.

I've heard at least one person who said she cured her PF with these simple stretches. I believe it too.

Do nonweight-bearing stretches religiously, both morning and night. I've mentioned AI stretches that have helped me and there are other ones mentioned on this site. But don't limit yourself in this area. Explore enough to know what works best for you. Remember, the paradigm is gaining flexibility. How you get there isn't half as important.

Stretch the entire kinetic chain, from the lower back to the toes. There's evidence that the problems in the feet may simply be the effect of tightness elsewhere.

Night splints are a great option and have been studied for their efficacy.

Good Luck!

Re: to Ron..

Ralph on 6/29/05 at 19:03 (177529)

I think everyone should copy your post. It's really good information something to keep.

Re: thank you very much

fernando on 6/30/05 at 11:39 (177566)

I agree, thank you again..