Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How to capitalize on good ideas

Posted by Michelle M on 6/29/05 at 22:43 (177544)

Hello,

I've posted off and on here and have tried to keep notes on all the good sugestions I've received. My foot background is long, but the end result is most likely Baxter's nerve entrapment. I've tried all the common non-surgical options (rest, ice, casting, orthodics, cortizone, neurontin) without sucess. My docs are stumped. On this site I've read about some interesting ideas like injections of hyaluronidase or neurontin topical creams. Where can I find literature on these things to bring to my docs and see if they will try it? Is there a good journal to keep up with? Or even better, I need to find a doctor in my area (or anywhere fairly driveable) that already knows of these things. I live in Massachusetts. Any advice?

Thanks and best of luck to all of us who have foot pain...
-- Michelle M

Re: How to capitalize on good ideas

Amy on 6/30/05 at 13:20 (177574)

Go to the Mass general - the doc that treated curt schillings ankle is there. I too have Baxters nerve entrapment and am going to Houston next week to see Baxter himself.

Amy

Michelle M on 7/02/05 at 21:46 (177741)

Hi Amy,

Do you know the name of Shilling's doctor? It might be worth while to see him. Please post here and let me know how things go with Baxter in Houston. I'll be curious to hear what he thinks of surgery and non-surgery options.
BTW -- do you know of any disadvantages of not doing surgery (ie does it make surgery later on that much more difficult if you;ve walked through pain for many years?)

best regards,
Michelle M

Amy on 7/03/05 at 13:17 (177756)

Dr Theodore is the chief of foot and ankle at the Mass General. If you were to opt for surgery I would think he would be the most capable. I will post back with a Baxter report. I don't know the disadvantages of waiting. I am coming up on a year and have just about had it. Let me know if you are able to get in with Dr.Theodore

Amy

Michelle M on 7/10/05 at 13:29 (178135)

Hi Amy,

I actually was able to get into see Dr. Theodore. I had an appointment already in the works from my primary care doc. I didn't realise he was the head of foot and ankle! Anyway, his recommendation was fairly unhappy. He told me I had two options -- stick it out or have surgery. And he gave surgery a very low success rate. He said he 'didn't like the surgery'... I am not sure what that meant... Definetly keep me posted on your appointment with Baxter. Hopefully he has more answers!

-- Michelle M

Amy on 7/10/05 at 22:41 (178153)

Surgery meaning just Baxters nerve release or more than that? I saw Dr. Baxter last week and was given very good odds for just a baxters nerve release (90% success). Of course he has done 1500 of these and the last guy I saw had done ten. I'm curious to know what he diagnosed you with and if he had any ideas whatsoever for you.

Amy

Michelle M on 7/11/05 at 19:40 (178205)

Theodore diagnosed me with 'nerve entrapment of some sort' though he said he couldn't give me a specific diagnosis. I am getting pretty frustrated with doctors who are so very vague!! As for the surgery he was referring to, it was 'tracing the nerve to remove any obstructions' and well as a partial plantar release. Unfortunately he didn't have any new non-surgical ideas (as long as you have already tried rest/ice, casting, cortisone shot, physical therapy, orthodics)

To help me compare your symptoms to mine, how were you diagnosed... MRI? EMG? Something else? What kind of sugery was Baxter referring to that gave 90% sucess rate? Do you have a mass of some sort they plan to remove? Or is it more vague than that?

I wish you the best of luck. Please keep me updated. Feel free to email me at (email removed). I am seeing a Dellon trained doctor in late July. Maybe they will have a better sense of what is going on in my foot. Or maybe I too will head out to Houston if this next doctor is vague.

-- MichelleM

Amy on 7/11/05 at 20:08 (178208)

I would have the standard Baxter's nerve release. He based his diagnosis on clinical presentation - this guy has seen the most and I do feel that he is right. MRIs did not show any masses,etc. Two nerve conduction tests showed nothing. He believes after my second pregnancy, when the body releases relaxin, my arch (I have a very high arch)shifted to some degree and I was left with this condition. Also, it probably did not help that I began to run at 2 weeks post partum. He said he does the minimum amount of invasive surgery to get the best result. In other words, if the fascia is not excedingly inflamed he will take as little as possible to release the nerve. He was pretty confident. I am not, as I have not yet called to schedule surgery. I have a feeling i will in the next few days however.

If you do decide on surgery - you have probably seen the best foot/ankle guy in Mass - the chief of F/A at the Mass General is nothing to sneeze at. Keep me posted.

Amy