Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Happy Birthday America!

Posted by Necee on 6/30/05 at 00:09 (177547)

I know I'm posting this early, the fourth is still a few days away.
I'm going to be quite busy so I thought I'd send this message now. Hope all Americans have a safe and happy fourth of July!
We are in a drought here in Texas, so I'm hoping for a ban on fireworks this year. There's a fireworks stand just up the road about 2 miles from my house, and they had a huge grass fire there yesterday, someone was popping firecrackers and set a field on fire. Those things are just too dangerous, and should be left up to the pros.
Our plans this year include having a cookout, the list keeps getting bigger! We started out having only about 12 or so, now the list has grown to 25!

Necee

Re: Happy Birthday America!

Kathy G on 6/30/05 at 09:33 (177558)

What fun, Necee! I hope you have a wonderful day.

We need to send some of our rain down to you. It's so humid and damp that I fear the poor farmer's will have a very bad year.

Hope that they use common-sense as far as allowing the sale of fireworks in a drought. My father knew two different people who got hurt with firecrackers. Actually, I think he called them 'salutes.' They were legal when he was a kid. One boy lost his hearing in one ear and the other blew off his thumb. You're absolutely right. Only the pros should set off fireworks.

Suzanne D. on 6/30/05 at 10:01 (177560)

Yes, Happy Birthday, America!

Necee, I hope you have a great cook-out at your wonderful new home. And I hope everyone is safe.

It is also very hot and beginning to be quite dry here, too. The heat index is supposed to be 110 today! The temperature's been in the 90's for days.

We're getting ready for our little community festival which will be Friday night and Saturday. There are old-fashioned games, a little parade, beauty/baby contests, a barbeque chicken dinner to raise money for the fire department, and so forth. Small-scale, but for the few of us in charge, lots of work! I always work the duck pond, so at least that is a sitting-down job, and in desperation I could reach down and splash water on myself if it gets too hot!

Have a good weekend, everyone!
Suzanne :)

Necee on 6/30/05 at 12:10 (177567)

Suzanne, your small town celebration sure sounds like fun! I just love attending those small events. The town where we go to church, (where my mom grew up),the population is about 800, they are having a parade and festivities in the park, so I'm hoping we can go this year.

I'll be thinking about you while your tending that duck pond! Have fun, and stay cool.

Happy fourth and happy trails to you.....

Necee

Kathy in Ky on 6/30/05 at 15:37 (177583)

Happy (early) 4th of July! We are also hot & dry, the rain keeps going around our community. Today it is a hot & humid 96 degrees. Hopefully, this afternoon's round of storms will drop some rain on our vegetable garden. Our little town is getting ready for the 4th, we just had the 'Great Race' automobiles this past Monday for a pit stop, so the town was decorated in patriotic colors. One of the streets even has red,white & blue stripes painted for the center lines. As for my family, we are just going to a small cookout for the 4th. I'm going to try one of the fattening Paula Deen recipes that are too rich & buttery for us.

JudyS on 6/30/05 at 22:52 (177614)

Necee - you haven't forgotten to include the PF gang in you invitations have you?

I've been in Michigan for two weeks and will be here for one more week. Boy do I have a lot of relatives here! I swear that from now on I'm going to rent a lake cottage for a month and get them all to come to me! But I look forward to a good old-fashioned Fourth in the midwest plus a Fogerty/Mellencamp concert to round out the day.

Happy Fourth to everyone!

Necee on 7/01/05 at 00:27 (177617)

The PF gang has an open invitation here anytime!!
I remember mentioning several years ago that we needed to have a PF 'gathering'. I just wonder who all would make that trip to Texas.....wouldn't it be fun! I've got plenty of room to roam.

Happy trails...

Necee