Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Is ESWT FDA approved for achilles tendonitis?

Posted by Jane on 6/30/05 at 10:17 (177561)

Is ESWT FDA approved for achilles tendonitis?

Re: Is ESWT FDA approved for achilles tendonitis?

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/30/05 at 15:57 (177586)

We have used ESWT for insertional achilles tendinosis for over five years with great success. The procedure is off the FDA label.

Dr Ben Pearl on 6/30/05 at 18:59 (177594)

some eswt companies will allow a physician to do the achilles if there is a plantar fasciitis issue that needs to be adressed at the same time

Dr. Z on 6/30/05 at 20:30 (177603)

Dr. Ben,
Are you prevented from using the United Shockwave Device off label for Chronic Achilles Tendinosis.?

Dr Ben Pearl on 7/01/05 at 18:36 (177683)

no but it would need to be done in conjunction with something insurance will reimburse for;namely plantar fasciitis; otherwise it becomes a cash proposition.

PodinFla on 7/03/05 at 21:44 (177768)

I've used the Ossatron for insertional achilles tendonitis and have also had good results. It is an offlabel indication.

Ralph on 7/03/05 at 22:11 (177769)

Dr. Ben,
I'm interpreting from your reply to Dr. Zuckerman that it's possible for a doctor to use ESWT for an off label condition and get reimbursed by insurance coverage if available, as long as that doctor says he also treated P.F. at the same time.

Since no one knows what goes on behind closed doors what safe guards are in place to keep unscruplous doctors from treating a variety of off label conditions with ESWT regardless of whether a patient needs them or not, put in for reimbursement and simply say they were necessary and of course treated along with a case of P.F?

Re: What is it?

Suzt D on 7/04/05 at 10:12 (177793)

What is an Ossatron and what does it do? S

Re: What is it?

PodinFla on 7/04/05 at 22:50 (177822)

Ossatron is another machine. It is manafactured by a company called Healthtronics. I've used this machine almost exclusively. However, this week my partner and I will be using the Dornier Epos on 4 patients in our office. I'm pretty excited about trying this machine again.