Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Flexible fascia=disabling pain??

Posted by ElishaJ on 6/30/05 at 15:02 (177578)

Can it be that my fascia ligaments are too flexible or that I have excessive motion in the joints of my foot? I've had PF for 2 years, I'm 25, and I now need crutches daily to move around. The only time I am pain free are in the first few moments on my feet. I've tried orthotics, ultrasound, ice, splints, stretches, ibuprofen, massage, lidoderm cortisone injections, taping, ESWT (on both feet) and EPF (on the left foot). 7 months post EPF my ligament is indeed longer, however, the entire ligament is painful and I can barely step on it. I've seen no more improvement in the last 3 months even with aggressive Physical therapy. A neurologist has ruled out any other conditions or a back problem. Now, I believe that since my fascia isn't tight, and by actually making it longer, I received more pain, that I really need my arches to heighten my arches and/or my joints to be fused to support the fascia more. I have an appointment with the 'best orthopedic surgeon in Maine' in sept but I may kill myself before then. I'm also thinking that if this isn't something that will go away by fixing the support in my feet, I may need a prosthetic foot (at least on the left) so I can get back to walking. The EPF was a significant blow to an already unbearable condition.
I just wish someone would take a look at my unique symptoms. Any suggestions on where I should go from here? This web site has been essential to my knowledge, Thank You so much.

Re: Flexible fascia=disabling pain??

SteveG on 6/30/05 at 19:37 (177598)

Elisa - I would be extremely reluctant to get additional surgery. The fascia seems longer because it was cut during the surgery -- that's what 'releasing' the ligament is all about. Definitely give yourself more time and seeks more than one opinion. It can take up to a year to heal from an EPF. As ol' Pauline used to say on this board, you have to be very wary of additional surgeries designed the fix a previous surgery. They seldom give people the release they seek.

Ron on 6/30/05 at 21:07 (177607)

Are you using nonweight bearing stretches?

Sorry, I really don't have any advice for you. You've tried it all it seems.

If I were in your position, I'd start to look into some kind of unique stretching program, like Pilates or Yoga. There are others out there for sure. I'd look towards a holistic approach. I'd even try acupuncture, even though it really doesn't make much sense considering this problem is probably biomechanical in origin. However, acupuncture has been known to, at the very least, lessen pain.

Have you tried losing weight?

I feel so bad for you.

Good luck!

ElishaJ on 7/01/05 at 12:08 (177645)

I weigh 109 pounds. And non-weight bearing stretches? I cant even stand for more than 5 mins. I do pilates daily, (it doesn't help). But thanks for the advice.

john king on 7/01/05 at 13:41 (177655)

I would get to that orthopedist and don't do anything rash until you get a workup.

Ron on 7/02/05 at 15:50 (177728)

Nonweight-bearing means sitting or lying.

elishaj on 7/03/05 at 09:20 (177750)

I know what nonweight-bearing means. Yes, that is the way I stretch. But again, I am very flexiable. Sitting on the floor, with my legs out in front of me, not bending my knees, I can touch my stomach to my thighs and I can touch my nose to my shins. Although, stretching does help my condition.