Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Surgery on both great toes

Posted by Melissa W. on 7/03/05 at 00:19 (177749)

I have lived with pain in both feet for quite some time and have been advised that I need to have a cheilectomy performed on both great toes. I am 43 years old and have severe degeneration in both joints. My physician indicated that I am too young to have the joints replaced as they will likely wear out and have to be replaced again. He is hoping this procedure will buy me a few more years before replacement is absolutely necessary. I do not want to have the fusion procedure. My concern is having both feet operated on at the same time. I am off work for the summer (until August 18th) and have scheduled my surgery for the week of JULY 11th. Am I allowing myself reasonable time to heal before returning to work? I am a school secretary and spend most of my work day seated at my computer. I really don't want to go through surgery twice in a few months time span, not to mention having to take off time from work. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Surgery on both great toes

Dr. Z on 7/03/05 at 11:16 (177752)

If you have ' Severe Degenerative joint disease of the big toe joints a simple Cheilectomy is a very poor procedure to use. In fact it can make the foot worse off. Without a complete examination of your feet with X-rays and clinical evaluation I can't advise you on which procedure is best for you. There are many types of joint replacement procedures including a bio-pro and or a re-alignment of the joint.
Both feet with the CORRECT procedure should give you a good result. The wrong procedure can make your foot worse off