Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Walk for Breast Cancer

Posted by Michelle on 7/05/05 at 17:39 (177883)

This weekend I am walking 40 miles in San Francisco for Breast Cancer. I, unfortunately, have developed plantar fasciitis. It's now pretty well progressed. I wonder if there are any long term implications of this condition. Will walking 40 miles right now cause any irreparable damage?

Re: Walk for Breast Cancer

Dr. Z on 7/05/05 at 20:33 (177891)

Yes,
This would be like walking on a broken bone. It will prevent the fascia from healing and may even make it progress to a plantar fasciosis which is a progressive degenerative condition. I understand the cause but the cause could destroy your feet

michelle on 7/07/05 at 17:31 (178020)

i too am walking 60 miles starting tomorrow in the boston 3 day for dreast cancer i have had 2 cortisone injections wear a night splint (6weeks now) and had 1 round of medrol pac and start the 2nd for the walk tomorow i will see the dr on monday for a fiting for a boot cast after the walk i understand you dedication because after all the training and donations i AM walking!!!
i hope you do well for the walk and start healing soon
michelle

Michelle on 7/08/05 at 11:47 (178051)

You've totally inspired me, I'm doing it!!

And Good luck to you too. It's a wonderul cause.

Julie on 7/08/05 at 14:38 (178065)

Michelle

Yes, it is a good cause, but it is only one among many good causes. It's admirable that you care so deeply about this one, but there are many ways in which you can contribute to it. Find ways that will not ruin your feet and put your health and your future life at risk, for that is what you will be doing if you do this walk.

As a breast cancer survivor I would not want you to do it for me, and I urge you to look at other options.

ruth on 7/09/05 at 07:53 (178088)

i believe that i developed my PF during my breast cancer walk training which started about 18 months ago. i did the 39.3 miles walk and even finished in the first 100 people. the walk was one of the most powerful experiences of my life. however, my feet have never been the same. i am wearing orthodics (which i had before i started training for another foot issue), doing my foot exercises (not as much as i should), icing my foot after a long day on my feet, still trying various anti-inflammatories (most recently tried limbrel), and NEVER EVER going barefoot (which is my favorite way to travel). i have had two injections and many ultrasound treatments. i am glad i did the walk but this summer i chose to work at the event instead of to do the walk. i still raised the $$$. i still interacted with the walkers (and was actually able to provide a lot of encouragement as i registered them the day before the walk, since i had done the walk previously). i got to be a part of all of it without injuring myself. do i wish i'd never done the walk a year ago? no! will i do it again? probably not. will i participate as a volunteer in the future? most likely. be careful. if you do the walk, make sure you immediately start treatment upon completion.