Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Cortisone injection in the arch of your foot - not the heel

Posted by Robbie on 7/06/05 at 10:09 (177911)

I have had PF for 4 1/2 months now and have tried rest, physical therapy, Active Release (ART), anti-inflammatories, orthotics, and night splints without much luck. Recently I took a 5 day oral steroid and saw some relief during that time. My doctor keeps wanting me to get the cortisone injection in my foot, but I am hesitant. My pain is not in my heel and never has been, but rather all along my arch. The podiatrist says the injection can be put in the middle of the arch and aimed upwards towards the toes and then downward towards the heel. Most that I have read and heard says that the injection is put in the heel or near the heel and where the plantar facia attaches.

Is it safe to get a cortisone shot in your arch in the middle of your foot? I am afraid this will cause more problems than it's worth. Should I suggest another round of 5 day steriods since this helped the first time? Also is it possible to have a steriod injection in another part of your body and your foot benefit from it, sort of like the oral steriod?

Thanks!

Re: Cortisone injection in the arch of your foot - not the heel

Ralph on 7/06/05 at 13:19 (177920)

Robbie,
All I'm going to testify to is the fact that doctors can inject just about anywhere on the body. Not that it applies here but they can and do inject directly into the eye sometimes so when you think about that a foot injection begins to sound a lot better.

I've read a lot of different opinions about steroid injections. I think some doctors try them to see if you get relief. Others don't even offer them.

I hope one the the doctors here will give you their opinion on these injections.

Re: Cortisone injection in the arch of your foot - not the heel

NickP. on 7/06/05 at 15:31 (177938)

Robbie
I discovered a natural supplement called XANGO which is made from the mangosteen fruit. I have Inflamation in my heals (plantar facitiss) and had trouble everyday getting out of bed to walk. I was taking vioxx everyday and even had a couple of cortizone shots and even then, I still had days with pain. I started taking XANGO and within 10 days, I was and still am pain free. I believe in the product so much, I am a distributor. Check out my website http://www.np.natureswellnesssecret.com or email my at (email removed) with any questions. I know first hand what type of pain everyone is dealing with. Wouldn't you want a natural alternative to offset the pain? I do and am taking that approach right now.