Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

foot surgery recovery slower than usual?

Posted by susieq on 7/06/05 at 19:39 (177967)

Foot surgery completed eight weeks ago, approx. 1/2 of fascia cut. Still great deal of pain, especially early a.m. Much more pain than before surgery. Afternoons better than mornings. Even kicking motion of swimming causes severe pain. Surgery conducted only after years of unsuccessful conservative treatement, including shockwave therapy. Stetching, icing and ibuprofen have no effect. Is something else wrong, or is time going to take care if this? Any suggestions?

Re: foot surgery recovery slower than usual?

Dr. Z on 7/06/05 at 20:02 (177969)

Hi

Pf release could take six months of pain. It sounds like you are doing too much. Many need a short cast boot for resting the root. Think of this like a broken bone. It has to heal and resting is part of the process.

susieq on 7/06/05 at 20:09 (177970)

Was in boot for weeks, as well as on crutches for first two. Doctor seems concerned that recovery is not faster. Thought I wuld be out running by August... Is he crazy?

Dr. Z on 7/06/05 at 20:11 (177971)

I would have to examine you to determine if things are ok. I have seen pf releases take six months or more to get better and sometimes up to one year. Get back in boot and see your doctor. May need physical therapy??

susieq on 7/06/05 at 20:26 (177976)

Thanks. Have followup appt. next week. Have been doing stretches and other treatements learned in past year of physical therapy, but don't seem too help much. More active than average person and frustrated with continuing pain, but will try to be patient. If you think of anything ekse please contact me here. THanks.

Orfie on 7/07/05 at 11:03 (178004)

Hi Susie. I had surgery for my foot about ten weeks ago and I am in pain too. I go see my doctor next week Friday. My pain is where I bend my toes to walk. I understand that it will take a very long time to be pain free. I also have done stretching and massaging and it just helps a little. So hang in there and let me know what your doctor tells you. Maybe you can give me somt tips. Good luck.

susieq on 7/07/05 at 13:25 (178011)

Thanks, I will let you know if I learn anything useful. What kind of surgery did you have, and what other things have you tried? How long were you told it would take to full recovery, that is, to be able to run again?

Orfie on 7/07/05 at 17:47 (178022)

I have trid the ProStrecth, Active Wrap, ice massaging. Nothing seems to soothe my pain. I just bought Arnica cream and tablets, I will try anything at this point.
My surgery was the endoscopic PF. My doctor says it can take six months to a year for a full recovery. I just don't if I take these aches and pains for the that long.

ray on 7/09/05 at 18:11 (178103)

i had open p.f. release 13 mo ago and im still recovering i went to p.t. after 10 mo and made it worst i just got anew ft doc and he lisons i had a nct test neg i had a x-ray neg and 2 mo ago got a mri that showed focal thicking at sur site which could be scare tissue or active p.f. i take 2300 mg ibprofin and light strecthing all day long my doc said i need to get sweling down so no more p.t. or walks next were get a ultrasound to pinpoint the pain at 4 mo i went back to work i was in so much painit was surgery pain all over my foot it gets better just a long time i had p.f. for 3 yrs before surgery

Re: scottr

april on 7/09/05 at 18:24 (178105)

Scottr

Re: scottr

scott r on 7/09/05 at 19:34 (178107)

thanks april

DianeT on 7/20/05 at 13:08 (178714)

Hi, I am dealing with the same complaint. I had the plantar fascia surgery in April and still have been dealing with pain. I am convinced that I need the heel spur taken out as well. My doctor said I would feel so much better after 3 wks. Now I am going for physcial therapy which is such a waste of time. I am very active also and everything they do there I do at home and more. I am just going so that my insurance covers everything and so that I can say I tryed everything. I visit the dr. again Monday and I like to hear what he says to do next. Probably another MRI. Do you think time will heal the HEEL? I've read that some doctors say the pain can last for months? But is it a different pain? I still feel like it's the same thing. I don't get it and very frustrated with this hole thing. Keep in touch - Diane

DianeT on 7/27/05 at 08:17 (179238)

Hi I had plantar surgery April 26th and still have pain. I asked my dr. if it can take a long time to heal and he said no. I am hearing that people say 6 mths to a yr. Can this be possible? I am currently going for physical therapy which doesn't seem to help. Please give me your input - Diane