Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Birth of A Hummingbird

Posted by marie on 7/07/05 at 18:06 (178023)

This is a truely amazing pictorial. Something any birdlover would enjoy. This lady was fortunate enough to capture pics of the little ones.

http://community.webtv.net/Velpics/HUM

Re: Birth of A Hummingbird

Linda V on 7/07/05 at 20:33 (178026)

I absolutely love hummingbirds..had many feeders when I lived up north, and a group of regulars....this was a very enjoyable link. Thanks for sharing.

john h on 7/07/05 at 21:40 (178028)

There is a beautiful lodge on top of a mountain in northwest Arkansas. The dining room has a walk around porch with a beautiful view of the valley below. All around this porch are hung humming bird feeders. There are literally hundreds of humming birds there all day long during our humming bird season. They pay no attention to people and you can walk right up to the many feeders and look at them eye to eye.

Re: Linda and John

marie on 7/07/05 at 23:15 (178035)

We have several different types of humming birds at our cabin. Right now the bee balm is blooming out there and it's like a hummingbird expressway. I have yet to take my camera out but this was truely an inspiration. Having bad feet has made me look closer at the smaller things.

marie

Necee on 7/08/05 at 00:02 (178040)

What awesome pictures! I enjoy watching birds of all kinds. While I was visiting a neighbor down the lane from us the other day, she mentioned that she had this pretty little bird visiting her backyard feeder...when she told me it was red, white, and blue....well., I thought she needed to have her eyes checked! Our course I was skeptical, but then I saw it with my own eyes....yes, it was red, white and blue!! We call it our little 4th of July bird. The closest I can figure is, that it's a Painted Bunting.
I sure hope it stays around.

Happy trails.....

Necee

marie on 7/08/05 at 00:24 (178042)

Oh cool a red, white and blue bird. I will have to look that up.

marie on 7/08/05 at 00:26 (178043)

http://www.greglasley.net/paintedbunt.html

here's a picture........what a pretty bird!

Suzanne D. on 7/08/05 at 08:25 (178046)

What neat pictures, Marie! Thanks for sharing them! I will save this link to show my children at school sometime. They would be great to go along with the picture book ARE YOU MY MOTHER? by PD Eastman. In it the baby bird hatches while his mother has gone off to look for food. He keeps looking for his mother throughout the book, and of course she returns at the end with food and love. First graders love it - and they will love these pictures.

One year we were studying about owls, and I did a search and found a site where a man posted pictures such as the ones you shared. He actually had a camera inside an owl box and could observe and record daily the birth and growth of the owlets. We were fascinated by those accounts and even e-mailed the man who wrote back to the class. The internet can really be a useful tool in education, can't it?

Suzanne :)

Re: By the way...

Suzanne D. on 7/08/05 at 08:53 (178047)

I will be gone for the next week but will check in again when I return. My best to everyone. Stay safe and be well.

Suzanne :)

Re: By the way...

Kathy G on 7/08/05 at 09:08 (178049)

And the same to you, Suzanne. Be safe and happy! I am leaving tomorrow for two weeks and shall talk to you all when I return.

marie on 7/08/05 at 12:43 (178060)

It's so nice. I use to purchase lots of slides and posters for my classroom but now I just open a link. Every classroom in our new school came with a 32 inch screen tv hooked to the Internet. I can sit at my desk and open things for the class to look at. It beats messing with a broken down slide projector.

marie

Re: Update On Pale Male and Lola

marie on 7/08/05 at 23:41 (178084)

http://www.palemale.com/

For those of you that remember the needless destruction of Pale male and lola's nest in NYC......I wanted to share the link again so you can see them and their hawklet.

later marie

Re: Painted Bunting

Necee on 7/09/05 at 00:43 (178086)

Thanks for sharing the picture Marie! Yes, that is the bird, the one we saw had a little bit of white on it. It's a beautiful bird with striking color.

Happy trails....

Necee

Jeannie J. on 7/12/05 at 20:19 (178270)

thank you so much for sharing and taking the time and effort to do so. I feed the territorial little monsters all the summer starting in the early spring before even sighting one. They come back year after year, and I really enjoy them. There are so many birds to feed and watch all the time. Again thank you.
Jeannie J.