Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Reiter's syndrome???

Posted by Tina H on 7/10/05 at 15:08 (178139)

In the article for which Dr. Rompe posted a link under EWST, it mentions that young people with bilateral pf should be checked for Reiter's syndrome. How common is this? My 14 yearold got pf in both her feet at the exact same time. None of the doctor's we've seen has mentioned this to me before. In reading information on the net about the condition, I don't think it's what she has but yet this article says it should be considered. Dr's do you see this in young patients with bilateral pf? We will be seeing a new doctor (the one Dr. Wishnie and Elliot reccommended) next week and I want to be prepared. Thank you, Tina H

Re: Reiter's syndrome???

Martin on 7/11/05 at 11:19 (178165)

Hi Tina,

First I should say I'm not a doctor, but know a bit about this subject because for a while I was diagnosed with a suspected spondyloarthropathy (SpA) (Reiters is one of several spondyloarthropathies, others are ankylosing spondylitis and psoriatic arthritis). In the end it turned out I didn't have an SpA at all, and my bi-lateral heel pain is due to nerve sensitization.

Reiters is infectious arthritis usually caused by sexually transmitted diseases, and can usually be cured with anti-biotics. But that doesn't rule out one of the other spondyloarhtropathies. Does your 14 year old have other joint problems? Psoriasis and/or skin rashes? Irritable bowel syndrome? Do these symptoms run in your family? These are all symptoms.

Don't panic though. There's LOTS that can be done if it turns out it is an SpA. Check out http://www.kickas.com for info. Good luck!

Tina H on 7/12/05 at 08:27 (178229)

Hi Martin- My daughter doesn't have any of those other conditions that you mentioned, but thanks. Yesterday when she was at the Physical Therapist, we looked that stuff up in his medical books and he assures me it's not that. But this pf has been non responsive to everything we've tried including PT, casting, orthotics etc... Haven't tried trigger point therapy, ESWT, ART or supplements. Those are next on the agenda. Still hoping the PT might work as there is a definite flexibility issue in the equation coupled with pes cavus feet. So we keep plugging along. Thanks for your interest. Tina

Martin on 7/12/05 at 11:49 (178245)

Good luck with it Tina, I'm glad you've ruled out SpA. Hope you have somw success with more conservative treatments before you resort to ESWT. Personally I'm a big fan of supplements, herbs, diet etc. Although it's yet to make a big difference for my heel pain, it's helped me with many, many other symptoms I was suffering.

elvis on 7/12/05 at 14:26 (178251)

Martin.......you may want to try fish oil supplements (DHA and EPA) and borage oil supplements (gamma linolenic acid) as these are precursors to the anti-inflammatroy eicosanoids (prostaglandins). Make sure you take vitamin E if you start on fish oil. I have read that the liquid fish oil supplements are more effective and better in general. Good brands are Carlsens and Nordic Naturals. I take Nordic Naturals.

Martin on 7/13/05 at 04:20 (178300)

Thanks Elvis, sound advice. I am already taking them actually.