Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Can TTS be complicated with Posterior Tibial Tendonitis

Posted by Brian on 7/10/05 at 17:37 (178144)

i just made the last post about this cus i am trying to get a diagnosis and attempting to get as much info as possible.

it seems these two ailemts are kind of corelated, and i am wondering if anyone has ever had either of them mixed up

Re: Can TTS be complicated with Posterior Tibial Tendonitis

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/15/05 at 00:50 (178441)

Brian:
I don't think that the two get mixed up but here is the relationship. The posterior tibial tendon lies very close to the posterior tibial nerve. If the tendon swells via tendonitis, that swelling can place pressure on the nerve. Also, the function of the posterior tibial tendon is to invert (pull up on the arch) the foot. A person who has a weak tibialis posterior may have a foot that rolls in more (pronates). Pronation or the inward roll of the foot places mechanical strain on the posterior tibial nerve. It does so because the nerve and tendon lie within adjacent compartments (pathways) of the same ligament, known as the laciniate ligament. If the the foot rolls in due ot a weak tibialis posterior the ligament is stretched, placing pressure on the nerve.
Ed

Re: DR ED DAvis ?

brian on 7/26/05 at 14:40 (179159)

so what your saying is if you have tendonitis in this area than it is possible if it resolved you wont have the issues with tarsal tunnel?

i am just confused on the topic.