Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I want to run marathons again

Posted by dave b. on 7/11/05 at 15:22 (178174)

My new podiatrist is writing CIGNA and recommending EWST for my insertional Achilles tendonosis but I'm not holding much hope of it being covered. Thanks Ralph for linking CIGNA's position paper. I called them twice and got a yes and a maybe for answers?!

About $1000 from me if they don't cover it. I have to wait for the United van to come around. That's worth it if it helps me.

Any people in a similar situation? Results?

Re: I want to run marathons again

Elyse B on 7/11/05 at 15:57 (178179)

good luck, read the ESWT board for pros and cons.

Re: Dave B. Re: I want to run marathons again

vince on 7/11/05 at 16:12 (178183)

The podiatrist that did my ESWT told me that he has had good results with ESWT for achilles. I know that this is anectodal info but I think you should try it. What area of the country are you in?

Ralph- I looked for the CIGNA link and didn't find it. Please post it again.

dave b. on 7/11/05 at 16:20 (178185)

I'm in DC. I know Dr. Pearl from this board is in this area and he has a Dornier in his office.

Ralph on 7/11/05 at 17:37 (178190)

Vince,
I don't recall ever posting the CIGNA link, but using Scott's Search Tab
I found this which may be what you are looking for. There are several references to the same link by others. If this one doesn't work plug
CIGNA into Scott's search feature and check for others.

Re: tennis elbow View Thread
Posted by David L on 6/04/03 at 17:23

Questions on tennis elbow I see and the Sonocur. Hopefully I can assist.
There have been thousands of treatments performed on this problem. A number of Blue Cross/Blue Shield carriers cover ESWT....North Carolina's policy can be viewed at http://www.bcbsnc.com/services/medical-policy/pdf/lithotripsy_extracorporeal_for_orthopedic_problems.pdf

A number of medicare carriers are implementing ESWT policies, such as Cigna Medicare in NC, TN & ID. Their policy can be found at http://www.cignamedicare.com/partb/lmrp/tn/draft_lmrp/tn200303.html

ESWT is becoming more and more common and widespread and I don't think it will be too long before it is widely available

Message Number 119571

dave b. on 7/12/05 at 08:41 (178234)

Well, I thought Ralph posted the CIGNA paper(ESWT not covered). I'll fax it to you if you like, Vince.

The asst. to my podiatrist said CIGNA's 'the worst.' They covered ESWT for one foot of one of their patients but not the other?! And she's been suffering for two years and getting multiple injections.

I'm not holding any hope of any insurance coverage.

Ralph on 7/12/05 at 09:22 (178235)

Dave,
I didn't post the original link that Vince was asking for, but if you follow this thread back you'll see that I did a search on Scott's board and bingo there was the post on CIGNA Vince was interested in.

I was able to reposted it for him. I love the Search Tab feature on this site. People just forget it's there sometimes.

dave b. on 7/12/05 at 09:31 (178236)

Right, thanks. It was DriverWilde who originally posted it. I'm finding my way around here now.

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/12/05 at 10:40 (178243)

Cigna does cover ESWT. especially for off label Achilles Tendon

dave b. on 7/12/05 at 11:24 (178244)

Right. My doctor is writing to CIGNA about coverage for me. It'd be a futile exercise if he asked for coverage for Achilles' tendonosis, but maybe he's 'embellishing' a bit? I don't know what he'll say in the letter. I'm not saying he's perpetrating fraud but there may be a certain wording that they will accept?

Re: I want to run marathons again

Sally on 7/12/05 at 23:32 (178293)

dave b.:
The only \'con\' for ESWT I have seen is the price. Shop around.
Sally