Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Tarsal tunnel question for Dr. Ed

Posted by Karenb on 7/11/05 at 15:50 (178176)

I still have not found a way to completely relieve the tts symtoms. I have tried orthodics; they help the most. I have tried surgery, which did nothing. I have tried topical ointments, pain medication, which makes me sick to my stomach, anodyne, and massive doses of Alpha Lipoic acid, which I think disturbs my acid relux condition. If I sit down, I'm ok, but I have a class reunion coming up soon and I would love to be able to dance.
and wear some presentable shoes. What do you suggest?

Re: Tarsal tunnel question for Dr. Ed

lara on 7/12/05 at 08:37 (178232)

As for presentable shoes, I highly recommend Dansko clogs. They provide great support and don't look frumpy at all. If you need heels they won't work, but if you can wear something a little more casual they might do the trick (I wore them to my reunion).

Re: shoe questions for Dr. Ed

Suzy D on 7/12/05 at 13:52 (178249)

Dr Ed-re shows-is there a website for Dansko clogs? Where can they be purchased? Are they sold in most larger stores or just at specific outlets. Thanks for the tip. So far, we have learned about MBT and Z-Coils as well. Let us know where we can order a pair of them. Having our feet feel even a bit more comfortable would be a big improvement.
Also, Dr Ed-have you heard anything about Anydoyne Therapy for the relief of neuropathis pain in the feet and legs? How about the new models of the spinal cord stimulators? Have you come accross any success stories? Thanks lots, S.

Re: More questions for Dr. Ed

Suzy D on 7/12/05 at 14:00 (178250)

same question te TTS relief. I have tried about as the last person who posted, yet the pain persists. What about Anodoyne therapy or the new SCS which are much smaller and have a rechargeable battery as well? Tell us more about kinds of shoes and socks to try. SO far I have been wearing diabetic socks from Walker's Warehouse and they releive the pressure a bit as well.
Another question-why does swimming, which really puts no pressure on the feet or legs, hurt so much? It does not hurt as much as walking but...it is not exactly pleasant either. I love to swim and will continue as long as I can, Any suggestions. The free style stroke seems to hurt the least and the breast stroke the most.
Someone told me to rub my feet with a course towel several times a day to decrease the sensitivity and build up tolerance. Your opinion please.
Any thoughts or advice? Suzy

lara on 7/12/05 at 23:27 (178290)

I have TTS, and find the Dansko clogs, and compression socks very helpful. I call them magic socks (I know they aren't for everyone, I wish they were,and they aren't a cure for me either, just a big improvement over crawling around).

Swimming also aggravates my TTS. For me, I think it's because the position where the toe is pointed, or the position where the toe pushes off the ground when walking, is what aggravates my tarsal tunnel the most. That's the same position as the flutter kick, and the breaststroke kick, although that kick is easier to modify to keep my ankles pretty much at a right angle. Either that or I just don't use my feet when I'm swimming. I imagine it's different for different people, depending on the cause.

Re: Tarsal tunnel question for Dr. Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/15/05 at 00:53 (178442)

If there is a lot of scar tissue placing pressure on the nerve, the scar tissue can be selectively dissolved by injections of the enzyme hyaluronidase. That enzyme went off the market for about 2.5 years but has been re-introduced lately by a California company that calls it amphadase.

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/15/05 at 00:57 (178443)

The anodyne lacks the depth of penetration to help the nerve. ScottR is working on a device similar to the anodyne with greater depth of penetration. The issue with swimming may be in the action of kicking which irritates the nerve. You should continue swimming but have to be willing to use your arms more than your legs until you have found a solution for the TTS.

Re: shoe questions for Dr. Ed

Karen b on 7/19/05 at 09:44 (178626)

Suzy D, I tried anodyne for 14 treatments and they did nothing.

Brenda S. on 7/23/05 at 16:48 (178937)

Where do you get the compression socks? I have to do something for my feet without surgery at this time. Thanks, B

lara on 7/24/05 at 12:07 (178989)

I've found them at medical supply stores (usually over-the-counter) and large drug stores (Long's). They are more frequently used by people with diabetes and varicose veins. You might know someone with one of those problems who can steer you to the best place to buy locally. I've found there is one type of sock that uses the word 'compression' in it's adv. but it's not what I'm talking about. The soft socks that most people wear most of the time have some brands that put a little bit of compressed stiching by the arch. That's not what is usually being referred to by 'compression socks', although I love those socks. The 'compression socks' for treating feet problems are nylon, and you will find a designation on the box something like 5#-15# (meaning 5 pounds compression/?inch? - 15 lbs compression/inch). The numbers will change, and I'm not sure what the numbers are, so don't take the 5 & 15 as gospel.

Kris on 7/25/05 at 03:35 (179020)

Now I am just the opposite. I can't stand socks or ANY pressure socks. Bought some and they KILLED ME. I do best if I keep everything from even touching the side of my ankle. Typically I wear only moccasins, but with summer sometimes I wear thong type shoes as long as they don't touch that.

Swimming helps mine. I try to get in the pool as often as I can and doggie paddle around. Don't know why but doggie paddling seems to help my foot do better.

I can't squat, or so anything weight bearing on the balls of my foot.

Brenda S. on 7/26/05 at 22:17 (179204)

Thank you for your info. I have to do something right now until my husband gets over having some more stents put in some stopped up arteries in his heart. Then I am going to have to have surgery it looks like. My feet hurt so bad and walking is getting more painful. I will go to the local med supply store and talk to them. I know the people that own the store. Thanks again. B

Buck T. on 10/19/05 at 14:49 (185163)

Suzy: I use the frog leg 'kick' with breast stroke. This for me is controlable versas not having control with flutter kick.

Sincerely, Buck T.