Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

1/3 of Plantar Fascia

Posted by Theresa on 7/11/05 at 16:17 (178184)

I know this question has been asked before but I'll ask it again. Does 1/3 of release of the fascia sound conservative? I have to have Baxter's Nerve Entrapment surgery done. Nothing has worked so far and it is intolerable. Doctor wants to release 1/3 of plantar fascia while he is doing the surgery because of the history I have with PF. I know there are risks with any surgery but does 1/3 sound reasonable/conservative?
Thanks

Re: 1/3 of Plantar Fascia

elvis on 7/11/05 at 18:28 (178200)

For what it's worth a podiatrist in Orange County suggested that I needed an endoscopic pf release surgery where he would have cut the medial 2/3 of the plantar fascia. Surgery is a last resort for me. Sounds like 1/3 is conservative. I'd be interested to hear from the doctors.

elvis on 7/11/05 at 18:36 (178202)

Theresa...............here's a quote from this website:

'More research is needed to determine more precisely the amount of plantar fascia that can be released before significant increases in forces in the remaining fascia are observed and before loss of the subtalar joint's ability to resupinate during late stance and propulsion. From this initial study, it seems that less than 66% of the fascia should be released to maintain foot stability, which is in agreement with in vivo research on lateral column symptoms following plantar fascial release'

Here's the link:

http://heelspurs.com/_surgery.html

I guess the problem is not cutting off enough pf may not reduce the tension on the pf and cutting too much may lead to a tear or other foot problems. Never an easy choice but the guy in Orange County recommends the medial 2/3.

ray on 7/15/05 at 20:16 (178490)

my surgery they cut 1/2 of media side