Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Just had ESWT

Posted by Holly on 7/11/05 at 16:55 (178187)

Have had PF in both feet for 2-1/2 years. Had Ossatron procedure done in Hospital, totally 'knocked out', 2 weeks ago. First two days I felt better. Then I have felt nothing but worse since. Doctor says to be patient. Gave me plenty of pain meds. Says my symptoms will start getting better only after FOUR weeks. Is this true? FOUR weeks? The feet get worse before they get better?? I was under the impression I'd get better SLOWLY but definately not worse....

Re: Just had ESWT

connie on 7/11/05 at 17:49 (178191)

you get worse.

HilaryG on 7/11/05 at 17:52 (178192)

Connie, Are you saying she'll get worse before getting better. Or she'll get worse period!

HilaryG on 7/11/05 at 17:53 (178193)

I meant to use question marks???

Jennifer on 7/11/05 at 18:10 (178197)

If you read my post recently, you'll see I got much worse. I had the ossatron on both feet, unfortunately, under general anesthesia, and it's almost been a year for me - I had a very bad experience, and hope you don't. If it hurts that bad, listen to your body and take it easy. Two weeks is hard to tell - give it some more time, but if you can't walk, or have sharp pain - see your doctor and be persistent.

connie on 7/11/05 at 23:06 (178217)

worse before getting better. i am getting better at week 3.

JJ on 7/12/05 at 02:02 (178219)

THANKS

Tina H on 7/12/05 at 08:35 (178231)

Holly, It seems to be a little, dirty secret about ESWT that some people actually get worse. To me based on what is happening it's logical. Changing chronic infammation to acute sounds painful right? Don't know why the people who make the ESWT pamphlets can put a little paragraph in there that you might actually be in more pain and it's normal in some people. Don't panic, because you should in the long run feel better. I had such bad pf pain last year, I could walk more than a block or two. Had ESWT in june and by Christmas I was starting to see significant improvement, but it took that long. I'm happy to report that now a year later I walk 5 miles almost everyday. Hang in there, it's a long process and that is clearly shown in the literature. Good Luck, Tina

Holly on 7/12/05 at 10:03 (178240)

Thank you for clarifying that. And thank you, forgot your name, (Dang I am going to figure out how to use these threads better), for asking her to clarify that. It's also weird that my pain was usually mostly in my heels and now my pain has shifted a lot to the balls of my feet. Dr. says it could be because I'm walking differently (canned answer no?). Anyway, I could say I'm enjoying the codeine and I will continue to post here so anyone - if they want to - can monitor my progress. Thanks for being here y'all....

Ed Davis, D on 7/13/05 at 00:42 (178297)

connie:
It takes 12 weeks for ESWT to work. The Ossatron, while being used, is technology, I would consider viable but somewhat obsolescent -- just my opinion.healthtronics, the distributor of the machine, no longer supports the Ossatron. The vast majority of ESWT is being done in doctor's offices nowadays and no is getting 'knocked out.' Check out http://www.asmst.org to find out more about ESWT. Most ESWT is follwed by an analgesic (numbing) effect. The reason we formed ASMST is to better educate patients and providers about ESWT. While ESWT has been around for 12 years in Europe, it is relatively new to providers in the US (about 6 yrs old but with political resistance).
Ed

Lori S. on 7/14/05 at 02:10 (178366)

Hillary,

It does get worse, but it will gradually get better. Take it easy, do what the doctors ordered after ESWT, I was very used to ice for the pain, but afterwards they said only heat. Well, I didnt think heat would help, but it does. Another thing I did was put a pillow under my feet at night, it helped alot. I would suggest trying the PF stretch, but dont overdo ANYTHING...only what feels comfortable. That stretch itself helped me alot. Around 8 weeks I think I quit taking pain meds, I had my eswt done september 29, 2004, by Christmas I was doing so much better.

I believe the best thing I did after ESWT...was to take it as easy as I possibly could. I figured I spent 3 years getting to the place I was before ESWT, a few months being careful wouldnt kill me. ON top of the fact the cost, lol... dont want to mess up what they did.

Prior to my ESWT, I was living on pain meds, and I cried myself to sleep when I could sleep sometimes. For 4 weeks or so prior to eswt, I was having my legs wrapped, I cant remember the name of the stuff, but it was like really wet gauze with zinc on it i believe. They put them on for 4 days and off for 3. I tried orthotics, stretching, physical therapy, nsaids, taping, shots, everything.... I am however happy to say, My FEET are finally normal... I will never take forgranted my feet.

If I am on them very long periods of time, they will bother me a little, but by the next morning, they are back to perfect.
Just hang on and take it easy,,,,,baby your feet, do what you must to try and be comfortable and pretty soon it will turn around. There will come a day when its a little better, and it will continue that way.

best wishes for painfree days,
Lorinda

S. B. on 7/15/05 at 13:01 (178465)

My husband had both feet done at the same time, and he took 7 weeks off work. He felt worse for probably 6 weeks, then it leveled back to what it was pre-procedure. The pain moved around, which his doctor said was a good thing. He had the procedure in February, and finally about 6 weeks ago he started steadily seeing improvement. We had scheduled a second procedure (which Healthtronics cut the price DRASTICALLY) and now have put that off to see if he really needs it. Don't give up.