Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar Fasciitis out of control

Posted by Rachel on 7/14/05 at 14:18 (178418)

I'm new to this board so please keep that in mind. I've had plantar Fasciitis for 2 years now and if that wasnt bad enough to deal with, I've torn some of it playing softball. Major pain when it happened and it is slowly calming down to be tolerable. Doc finally recommended me to another doc who does the Ossatron. I'm not sure what this all is but i'm researching now and I have an appointment for next week. Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated. Pros & cons???? Painful?? Recover time? Meanwhile I will continue to research on my own but If anyone has anything for me let me know. Thanks

I'm hoping this will start putting an end to pain in the heels and also getting back to playing.

Re: Plantar Fasciitis out of control

Elyse B on 7/14/05 at 14:26 (178420)

Rachel the best advice is to read the heelspur book and research everything on the ESWT message board for all the pros and cons and then you will have to make a decision. There are both pros and cons on this message board. The good doctors have posted a lot of research articles if you can get through them.

Elyse B on 7/14/05 at 14:28 (178421)

one more thing, have you tried taping, physical therapy, icing, stretching, night splints and/or orthotics?

scott r on 7/15/05 at 09:39 (178447)

Elyse, what exactly are the 'cons' of ESWT? The only thing I can think of is the price and that it may not work.

Rachel on 7/15/05 at 10:00 (178449)

I have tried physical therapy for the duration, icing constantly, taping and stretching. Just cant seem to get them to calm down.

Elyse B on 7/15/05 at 10:07 (178451)

you might want to post this question on the ESWT board. I am sure the people on the board would gladly help you with ESWT information. Good luck.

Elyse B on 7/15/05 at 10:08 (178452)

sorry Rachel, this IS the ESWT my mistake, I am sure people will help you with their experiences.

scott r on 7/15/05 at 10:10 (178453)

Elyse, you're implying that physical therapy, ice, taping, stretching, night splints, and orthotics are safer than ESWT. There's no evidence that these things are safer, or that they have a better benefit to cost ratio. In fact, in the heelspurs.com survey, 3 to 13% of respondents reported these things as harmful. Orthotics was the 13%, twice as often harmful as the others. So instead of harassing visitors with the 'cons' of ESWT, why don't you hang around the products board and warn people away from $400 orthotics? By the way, 'deep massage' had 23% reporting it as harmful for those touting ART. Only fascia release (25%) and nerve surgery (31%) were more often harmful. The survery was before ESWT was common in the U.S. so there weren't any responses for that.

The UNC 'cons' are relatively insignificant things that last a few mintues to at most 'a few days' (bruising). Who considering ESWT would think a bruise lasting a few days is worth mentioning?

Elyse B on 7/15/05 at 10:15 (178454)

I am not implying anything. I don't think it is unfair for me to suggest to posters to research any procedure they are going to have which is going to be extremely expensive and out of pocket. That is the ONLY thing I am saying. I have never, EVER said ESWT was not effective and you would see that by all of my postings. I do not see how anyone could disagree with me that people should do their own homework and not be pressured into any procedure.

Re: Plantar Fasciitis out of control, ScottR

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/15/05 at 11:03 (178458)

Elyse:

ScottR established this site based on his personal experiences with plantar fasciitis. He had a long hard struggle with it. I believe that it was ESWT that finally brought his own case to resolution.

Over the years the site has grown tremendously. ScottR would like readers and posters to do a couple of things in exchange for the information. First, read his heel pain book. There is nothing out there quite like it. I know becasue I have looked for something better. I have yet to find anything better. Second, he requests that posters 'be nice' when posting.
I think that those two requests are reasonable.

I have been in practice since 1983 and in my 22 years of practice, have never seen a modality or drug with a higher efficacy to safety ratio than ESWT. So please excuse our enthusiasm. We are not here to mislead anyone but just relate our personal experiences.
Ed

Scott R on 7/15/05 at 11:49 (178461)

Dr Ed, I think we agreed you're not supposed to reply to Elyse since ya'll get into arguments and then one of you (much more often you) come complaining to me about the other's posts. I might be arguing with her right now, but I haven't seen her breaking any rules. It doesn't matter if you're nice. I know you too will soon get into it.

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/15/05 at 14:27 (178470)

Sorry ScottR -- I was just trying to help. I will say no more.
Ed

Dr. Z on 7/15/05 at 21:17 (178492)

Ed,
I agree with you 100% . I think its time when the owner of this site is starting to step in and correct the mis conceptions about ESWT by posters that the following new rule should be used. see below
If you don't have personal experience or perform ESWT I don't think you should respond on the ESWT board or in fact any of the medical portion of this board.
To give false and or misleading impressions either intentinally or by mistake is just as bad as being over zealous with informattion. As I stated for the past six years I will alway be over zealous with recommending ESWT when it is indicated and the poster has met all of the standards of ESWT care . Posters and patients just don't understand when they choice pf release when does and can happen that can change their life to a life of chronic pain and misery.

Re: Neuropathy n ESWT? Question

Suzy D on 7/17/05 at 21:08 (178551)

Has there been any relief for painful neuropathies of the lower extremities or for RSD using ESWT? Just wondering if it is used for anything other than PF? Anyone know of any clinical trials for these conditions using ESWT?
The person who wrote that they had RSD, or thought they did, for a lot of information go to http://www.RSDHope.com --very helpful site. Suzy

Suzy D on 7/17/05 at 21:14 (178552)

just a suggestion to the nurse lady. Are you sure you have PF? I was dxed with PF and tried all that you did and all it did was make the pain worse. Turns out I have PN, which is something quite different from PF. How about getting another opinion? Just a thought. Suzy

Rachel on 7/18/05 at 10:01 (178565)

Suzy,
What is PN??

Suzy D on 7/18/05 at 17:49 (178580)

PN is peripherial neuropathy. It can be idiopatic(no cause known) or comes from diabetes. We usually hear the most about diabetic PN and that seems to respond best to the meds. Idiopathic PN such as I have, seems to be trial and error. The symptoms often mimic TTS, PF, and RSD, so doctors are often baffled. Tests are not always conclusive, either. Next question? LOL
Suzy

Re: Suzy.........Alpha Lipoic Acid

elvis on 7/18/05 at 18:05 (178581)

I know alpha lipoic acid has been successfully used for diabetic PN. It's a great antioxidant and certainly would not hurt to take it and see what it does for idiopathic PN. Just a suggestion. Dose: 300-60mg/day. It will take several weeks and maybe a couple of months to see an effect. Other antioxidants (Vit C, Vit E, NAC, grape seed extract, etc) would also be helpfull as well as B-complex. I take all of the afrementioned daily.

Sally on 7/19/05 at 01:56 (178601)

elyse:

This is THE ESWT Board so we discuss ESWT on it. We have a surgery board so we discuss sugery on it, We have a tarsal tunnel board so we discuss tarsal tunnel on it.

No one is pressuring anyone into ESWT. The doctors and patients who have experienced ESWT only present the facts as they are known.

It is out of pocket only with certain insurance companies, not with others. Sorry if your personal insurance company does not cover it.

ESWT obtains a permanent CPT code for 2006, after which it is likely that a lot more insurance companies will cover it.

Sally

Sally on 7/19/05 at 01:57 (178602)

Must I sally forth to answer more inquiries. ;)
Sally

Elyse B on 7/19/05 at 05:31 (178607)

again Sally, Scott asked what name you are posting under please 'out' yourself. I will ask again, please have your brother post, he is a podiatrist and some new 'blood' will be welcome.

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/19/05 at 10:31 (178629)

elvis:
You are right -- it is worth a try but at about 800 mg. as recommended by German cmomission E.
Ed

elvis on 7/19/05 at 13:25 (178665)

800m will work. I noticed in my earlier post that there was a typo. Should have read 300-600mg/day but as Dr Ed said 800mg will also be fine. There is no reported toxicity for alph lipoic acid as far as I know.

Sally on 7/19/05 at 21:34 (178686)

Elyse:

There are about 15,000 podiatrists out there. Only two to 4 have posted here. They don\'t want to waste their time arguing with people like you.
You make statments before you have read the material presented to you by Scottr in the heel pain book and by Drs. Davis and Z at their http://www.asmst.org website. If you are really interested in this subject, why don\'t you take the time to do the research?

I have released more information about myself than you have about yourself so I am no more mysterious than you. What makes you more credible than me. I am an RN who lives in California with 18 years of experience. You do what? You have how much experience? All I know is that you live in New York, want to run a marathon and like to argue.

Sally

Susan on 7/21/05 at 09:34 (178770)

The tone of this is rude and 'not nice'.
Sally, the people who have asked who you are don't mean your name, address and what you do. They are referring to Scott's implication, no doubt based on your IP address, that you are a regular poster posting under an alias as Sally, and are asking what regular poster are you really.
If you don't want to answer Elyse's question, sinply close the message and move on.

Sally on 7/23/05 at 21:57 (178960)

Susan:
I am not obligated to answer Elyse\'s question.
Sally