Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Risk Assessment

Posted by elvis on 7/14/05 at 17:52 (178427)

Put a differnt way.......anyone who is considering pf surgery should take a close look at ESWT. To me it's a no-brainer to try ESWT first before surgery.

On the other hand if a doctor suggests ESWT early on in the pf disease process I would want to look at information out there (if it exists) that would show early intervention with ESWT being beneficial over more conserative treatments. From what I know cost may be the deciding factor in this situation, ie, someone would decide to try less costly conservative treatments first. That's been my decision so far.

Re: Risk Assessment

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/14/05 at 18:34 (178432)

Elvis,

The patient should know that the ESWT standards of Care are at least six months of heel pain and at least three conservative trials of Treatment

Re: Risk Assessment

Joe D on 7/22/05 at 13:33 (178848)

Elvis is correct. I was tired of all of the stretching, ice and different shoe inserts. I saw the brochure for ESTW in the doctors waiting room and asked about it. I asked myself how much more pain can I endure? I might as well have my foot cut off! My insurance only covered 2/3 of the expense. So it cost be the best $1,000 I have ever spent! The first 10 days were tough but after 3 weeks I think I can even start jogging again! But I will wait for the full 5 weeks like I was told.