Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Tarsal Tunnel Surgery

Posted by RitaI on 7/15/05 at 15:34 (178477)

Hi,

I had tarsal tunnel surgery on 6-30-05. I am in a boot and ace bandage.
My dr. suggested that I begin putting a 'little' bit of weight on my foot(using crutches or walker). I am trying very hard even though it is painful. I was coming home from the doctor two days ago and fell while trying to get up my front steps. My husband was there and tried to catch me as I was falling. He cushioned my fall but it still hurt like heck. My stitches are out but I am afraid I might have lengthed my recovery. My next appointment is 3 days away. Any advice? I am so scared now when I walk.
Rita

Re: Tarsal Tunnel & Varicose Veins

messed up foot on 3/12/05 at 09:48 (171010)

I don't have the vein issue but our bodies often have the same condition on the other side. I have an odd nerve placement that caused TTS and it is also on the right foot. I too just dread the thought of having this surgery on my other foot but that is probably because I am not yet 4 weeks postop on the left foot and still no weight bearing.

You have my sympathies!

lara on 3/21/05 at 09:37 (171665)

Have you tried compression socks. I understand they are particularly helpful in cases where a varicose vein is involved in causing the TTS.

JG on 3/21/05 at 12:09 (171691)

I had TT surgery on both feet (not at the same time). In addition to some other problems, both feet had varicose veins which were removed. I don't know your age, but I am an older patient. I think age is a big factor with varicose veins. I'm glad I had both feet done. While my toes are still numb, I don't have the burning pain that accompanies TTS. My numbness should go away once the nerves regenerate. Just for the record, the second surgery was easier for me. I got my bandage off Friday the 18th (10 days post op) and I was putting weight on my foot that day. Granted, I was not walking much at all, but I was really pleased that it was so soon after surgery. Maybe it was easier because I knew more of what to expect. Best wishes to you.

Kelly T on 3/30/05 at 20:55 (172226)

I am interested in the healing point of TT. How long from the sugery did you actually start walking on your own, without the crutches. I had my sugery on 3/18 and I had my second followup appointment with my Doc. I have four children and living with family. It's frustrating when I see them walk and all I do is SIT.
Thanx Kelly T.

Re: Tarsal Tunnel Surgery

Dr. Z on 7/15/05 at 21:19 (178494)

Yes,

Get an appointment as soon ASAP. Rest, elevation, Ice. Take a look and see if there is any lasceration on the foot

Suzy D on 7/16/05 at 08:08 (178504)

Rita,
If the walking is painful, just do a bit less or walk for shorter periods until you see your doctor. Sorry about the fall, and yes it could have set you back a bit. Maybe you should call your doctor and ask his advice. BTW-what kind of physician did the surgery? Hope you recover soon and end this painful condition. All the best, Suzy

RitaI on 7/16/05 at 13:48 (178520)

Suzy,

Thanks for the advice. I probably have been walking too much and will rest more. I am going to the doctor on Tuesday. I still need pain pills and it has been two weeks. What do you think about that? How long will I need them?
Thanks,
Rita

RitaI on 7/16/05 at 13:49 (178521)

Dr. Z,

I am going to the doctor in Tuesday. Will keep you posted.

Thanks for your reply.
Rita

Re: Tarsal Tunnel Surgery-Hi Rita

Suzy D on 7/18/05 at 17:30 (178578)

HI Rita,
I am not sure what the healing time will be. It seems to vary with every individual. I do know that pushing yourself beyond your limits will delay recovery and increase pain. What meds are you taking now. Two weeks does not seem like an unusually long time. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Every time we think we can just push our way through the pain and defeat the problem, it appears to get worse. Be kinder to yourself and YES, I know how hard it is for someone who likes to be active to be INACTIVE. Treat it as a temporary condition, get the rest you need, and bet you heal much faster. If not, check in with your doctor ASAP.
My pleasure,
Suzy

Re: Tarsal Tunnel Surgery-Hi Rita

RitaI on 7/18/05 at 23:08 (178595)

Hi Suzy,

I'm on two meds since surgery - Ibuprofen 800mg twice a day and Oxycodone
every 4-6 hours as needed for pain.
So far, I've had to take both of these because of the pain. I go to the dr. tomorrow and anxious to hear what he has to say.
You are very kind to respond to my messages.
Thanks,
Rita

denise h on 7/23/05 at 16:05 (178929)

hi can you tell me about the surgery? do you have to stay in the hospitalor is it outpatient im getting ready to have the surgery.

denise h on 7/23/05 at 16:08 (178931)

could you tell me about how the surgery was and what to expect aterwards?

Brenda S. on 7/23/05 at 22:28 (178965)

Dr Z: any home treatment for tts? I am allergic to NSAIDS. This makes it hard to find any pain med to work on my feet. Guess I will eventually have to have tts surgery on them.

Dr. Z on 7/23/05 at 22:49 (178967)

Brenda S
Support compression stocking can help the pain. Physical therapy consisting of ionophoresis and ultrasound can be helpful. Sometimes injections of local steriod in the correct location. Biofreeze is another topical medication that can be helpful. A brace maybe helpful

Brenda S. on 7/24/05 at 11:51 (178986)

Thank you. I am willing to try anything right now to keep from having surgery. I am wearing some braces I bought at Walmart that help some. I even wear them at night. Thank you for the info. B

RitaI on 7/24/05 at 23:45 (179015)

Hi Denise,

My surgery was done as an outpatient on June 30. It took about an hour to do it(the actual surgery). I came home with the foot wrapped and a removable boot. The first two weeks were rough. I could put no weight on the foot at all. Crutches were clumsy for me so I used a walker and just hopped around on my good foot. The walker was much much better. I rested, iced, and elevated for about a week. You'll need someone with you if at all possible.

My dr gave me two types of medicine- one for inflammation and one for pain. TAKE THEM!! Watch the clock and stay ahead of the pain. My entire foot felt numb for about a week but the doctor didn't seem bothered by it. It's been three weeks and most of the numbness is gone except in my toes. I hope that time will take care of it.

I am now beginning to put a little weight on my foot and it feels pretty good. I guess my recovery is normal. No one that I know has ever had this type of surgery.

Don't worry about your surgery. You'll be fine. Keep positive thoughts! If you are an active person, the hardest part will be sitting still. Please let me know how you do.
God Bless,
Rita

denise h on 7/25/05 at 16:19 (179063)

thabk you very much , iam starting to get really scared about the whole thing was you put to sleep? you came home the same day .can you walk me through how it went down i would grateful and i know god will bring me through but im still scared .

RitaI on 7/26/05 at 00:01 (179085)

Hi Denise,

I was scared to death too. I almost backed out but my pain was getting worse. This is how my surgery day went. I had to be there at 6:15 AM.
I was taken back to a holding room where the nurse cleaned my foot, gave me my cute little hospital gown, and cap. An IV was inserted in my right hand. The anesthesiologist came by and talked to me. A little later my dr. came by and everything was on go. I was taken to surgery and was still awake. They put something into my IV and before I knew it, I was out. They also did some local injections in my foot to numb it (after I was asleep). From surgery I was taken to a recovery room but don't remember much about it. I was then taken to where I started out. My husband and son were allowed to come back. The nurse gave me something to drink and before I knew it, I was being wheeled away to the car. We got back home around 10:30 AM. You will be fine!
Please let me know how you do.
God Bless You!
Rita

denise h on 7/26/05 at 04:02 (179089)

thankyou very much and god bless you. i will talk to later i have to go to work right now .

Amy on 7/26/05 at 10:18 (179116)

Aren't these questions you should be asking your Doctor? You should know exactly what is going on that day - before you have surgery. Call the Doctor with a list of these questions - I'm sure the nurse or doc will help you - be the most informed patient you can be - don't get this kind of info from from a forum, the experience of other people may be different from your own. Good luck -
Amy

denise h on 7/26/05 at 14:20 (179158)

i was just asking becaue my doctor told me he would schule it when i cam,e back on this thursday i have had to wait 2-weeks alreday before i go back so for 2-weeks i have been wondering thats all im sure he will go everything with me its just the 2-week wait is killing me i was alittle curious but this thursday is the day for everything to be set in motion.