Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar Fasciatis Update

Posted by Christine on 7/16/05 at 20:45 (178544)

Hello everyone!
Just wanted to let you know how I'm doing since I posted in June asking for your input and advice. Maybe my progress will help someone new! Quick recap -- I have heel spurs and plantar fasciatis in both feet but it is more painful in my right foot. I tried taping, cortisone, custom orthodics and exercises recommended from my podiatrist but was getting no lasting relief. Here are the changes I made after getting info from this message board: I started taking the anti-inflammatory medicine 2x a day, did only non-weight-bearing exercises (those yoga ones recommended by Ron) first thing in the morning and throughout the day, started wearing a nightsplint on my right foot every night (the A-force one Tina recommended is great...it doesn't bother me at night at all...I got mine from FootSmart.com and it is the 'L' shaped one that rests on top of your calf, not under it), kept wearing my orthodics in my sneakers or only wore Birkenstock sandals as an alternative, and worked with a massage therapist to loosen up the fascia in my feet, my achilles area and my calves (I've seen her about 5x). And, I'm HAPPY to report that everything seems to be helping!!! I no longer have severe pain in my feet every day. When I'm on my feet non-stop and over-do it, then I have some pain in my right heel. I try to ice it and get off it but it really is no where near as bad as it used to be. I believe the KEY ingredients to my feeling relief this last month are the yoga foot exercises and the massage. I've only had the nightsplint a couple of weeks but I do feel a difference in the morning when I stretch that foot and feel that it is helping too.
Thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone for being so helpful and for posting your suggestions. I know it must seem tedious to keep repeating the same things for new people but I am forever grateful for your patience and goodwill. I look forward to things consistently improving as I continue my course of treatment and will, hopefully, report some day that my PF is gone altogether!!!
Much luck to all of you who are seeking relief... Christine
P.S. My family and I are leaving on vacation tomorrow. I will check back when we return in case anyone has any questions for me.