Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar Fasciitis

Posted by Fred S on 7/17/05 at 15:37 (178546)

Plantar Fasciitis showed up late Nov. 2004, wasn't diagnosed until Feb 2005. There seems to my estimation to be many factorss involved here, I'll try to be explicit and brief. It is very bad in my left foot, mild in my right foot.

I played basketball on a regular basis until January 2005, played in college and contiued at a relatively high level of competion and skill 2-3 times per week. I always had problems with turning (spraining) my ankles, invariably to the outside, both left and right. I wear plastic supports (Aircast) strapped around the ankle (both right and left) to prevent this from occurring for the last ten years while playing. This has been successful. Also had significant 'growing pains' (Osgood-Schlatter?) during period 10-15 years old, escpecially at night after days of high activity. They were very bad. Broke my left leg when skiing at age 11 (tibia/fibula). When young, was diagnosed with left leg being shorter than right by a 1/4 inch, but I believe this not to be accurate. Upon reaching 18, stoped wearing lift, started seeing a chiropractor who could adjust me to make the legs equal.

I believe there is a good chance pronation is heavily involved. Also, never had a probelm with a knee my entire life until January 2005. Had to have approximately 30% of my medial meniscus removed from the left knee on May 3, 2005. This knee problem first showed up with very minor problems with going down steps (slight catching in joint)in Summer 2004, but absolutely no problem on the basketball court until January 2005, afte PF started in Nov 2004.

Still having problems with the knee swelling, escpecially after walking or standing. Haven't played basketball since January 2005. Still under the care of the orthopedic surgeon who performed the surgery for the knee only.

I'm 6'6', now weigh 260, age 43. I have gained much weight over the past 7 months with lack of activity. I am also an environmental consultant which requires much walking, standing, bending etc at site investigations. Trying to hold down weight, have recently stabilized upward trend, but haven't lost much yet.

Went through PT for PF on left foot Jan-March 2005, included massage therapy, icing, ultrasoound, stretching, etc. No effect. Had a cortisone shot late March 2005. The shot was the worse pain ever, and I have had many injuries. Could walk for two days, had cortisone flare. PF seemed somewhat dormant after the shot, but still could feel tingling, swelling, and some pain.

The pain came back with a vengeance five days ago. I would characterize the pain as diffeent in location and type, but very debilitating. Rest is not an option due to my work schedule. I will not use cortisone again.

I have read about shock wave therapy. I need help, this is seriously impacting my professional and personal life. Is there someone who could help not just relieve the pain, but get at the root cause? Pronation? Gait analysis?

I live in East Brunswick, NJ. Anybody nearby that could help? Even if not nearby, I would do just about anything to get relief and go back to my active lifestyle.

Re: Plantar Fasciitis

Dr. Z on 7/17/05 at 15:45 (178548)

I am the ESWT medical Director for Excellence Shockwave Therapy Group. We are the largest provider of ESWT services in the state of New Jersey. We have used ESWT for the past six years with very effective results in the correct clinical situation. It does appear that you may benefit from ESWT, however an indepth physical examination is your next step. I would very happy to arrange for a complimentary examination with myself or one of our ESWT providers in your area. If you e-mail Dr. Zuckerman at (email removed) I would be very happy to have some one contact you and provide you with additional information. footcare@comcast.net

Suzy D on 7/17/05 at 21:20 (178554)

Have you ever heard of Dr Gary Sherman-Pod? He is in NJ and does a lot of sports medecine work. Try looking him up on the net since I don't have his exact address. Perhaps he could help you. Best of luck to you.

Dr. Z on 7/17/05 at 21:30 (178555)

If you can't find his address. Call Excellence Shockwave Therapy at 1-856-769-8270. Dr. Sherman is part of the Excellence Group and is trained to do ESWT when indicated. He is very interesting and has the most complete biomechanical technology that I have seen

Rachel on 7/19/05 at 07:13 (178613)

Fred, I can relate to you!!! I've been suffering from pf for 2 years now. Been thru therapy,cortizon shots, icing, night splits, and getting orthodics this week. I dont know what to do anymore. Right foot is all the heel pain left is much worse, doc says I tore some of the pf. So now what??? Just found out about this ESWT so i'm doing research and trying to find a doc in my area. Chicago IL. I play womens competitive softball and now it looks like i'm out for the rest of the year, not happy. I have had 6 reconstructive knee surgeries and I'd rather have that again vs. pf!!! This website is great, thanks for all the advice and help.

LillianS on 8/06/05 at 09:03 (180107)

Rachel- have you found a doctor yet? I too have been suffering from pf for two years and have tried EVERYTHING conservative with no success. My last two options are surgery and ESWT. I'm going to have ESWT done by the end of the month. Let me know if you need a doctor. I went through five doctors (two were quacks) before finding my sixth. He's been the best. Be very careful--quacks are easier to find!