Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

2 questions

Posted by Rachel on 7/18/05 at 10:47 (178567)

Does anyone have any infor on experiencing a tear in their plantar fasciitis? Also what are some recommended athletic shoes to wear while having severe pf, along with orthodics?

thanks
Rachel

Re: 2 questions

Dr Ben Pearl on 7/18/05 at 14:46 (178574)

long healing time,
I would use a cast before returning to shoe, mbt shoes have a built in roller sole

Rachel on 7/19/05 at 06:36 (178610)

Thank you for your info it is greatly appreciated. Do you mean like a normal hard cast? Would you know if eswt is something i still can consider with a slight tear? Mtb shoe, where can i find this? Is this a brand? Thanks again

Elyse B on 7/19/05 at 06:43 (178612)

RAchel take a look

http://www.mbt-shoe.com/

Rachel on 7/19/05 at 07:13 (178614)

THanks so much!!!

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/19/05 at 08:30 (178622)

Interesting shoe. One of my patients is wearing this shoe and so far so good. It cost about $250.

Re: Dr Z....mbt shoe question

elvis on 7/19/05 at 10:31 (178628)

My podiatrist thought that the mbt shoe would be good but he was afraid I would be stuck wearing them forever and that going back to a regular shoe would just bring back the pf inflammation. What do you think?

Dr. Z on 7/19/05 at 17:05 (178672)

That is possible if you have an equinus foot condition. I would watch your range of motion of your ankle very closely if you decide to wear this type of shoe

elvis on 7/19/05 at 17:47 (178675)

I've been told that I have tight calf muscles. I've never had an achilles tendon pain. I also have high arches. And how do I watch the range of motion of my ankle?

Dr. Z on 7/19/05 at 18:51 (178678)

Elvis

Due to your foot structure you probaby have a high arch feet. The degree of equinus needs to be evaluated by your podiatrist with the knee extended and flexed.
Is there any type of leg shortness. You probaby need some degree of heel lift in your shoe and or orthosis. The forefoot pain could be from lack of heel contact and your weight being transfer to the front of your foot.
Cavus type feet are very tough to help and can be very frustrating. You need to find out if you need a lift or lifts added to your orthosis

elvis on 7/19/05 at 19:33 (178681)

Thanx Dr Z.........I've never been told about leg shortness and have never been measured as far as I can remember. I know my napropath/chiropractor in Chicago did look at leg length discrepancy but he only did a visual observation and thought that everything was close enough for governmental work anyway!! LOL

Will those silicon heel pads act as lift? I've used them before with no apparent benefit so I stopped using them.

Dr. Z on 7/19/05 at 19:48 (178682)

The silcon heel pads have too much give. You could try them as a temporary test to see if your feet feels better.

elvis on 7/20/05 at 01:01 (178692)

Thanx I'll give it a try with the silicone inserts. Tonight when I walked my dog I tried jogging a little to see how my foot would handle it. It just seemed like the right thing to do at the time. I did 4 20-50 yd jogs. My heel felt fine. The front of the foot hurt in the beginning and then the pain subsided so I felt pretty good at the end. Now (2 hours later) it's a little painful in the metatarsal area -- I'd say right in the middle of the top of my foot slightly on the lateral side of center. Well I'm now able to walk my dog the one thing my old podiatrist said to never do. Bona fide jogging is next. Then another marathon. Baby steps to jogging. Baby steps to jogging. Maybe we should have Dr. Leo Marvin stop by to treat the psychos who show up here periodically! LOL He did wonders for me.

Anyway I told you I was going to send the old podiatrist my bib number and a copy of my finishing time. My dog wants to send him a package too! My dog is a Briard that we rescued last year. She's looks identical to the dog in the movie 'Because of Winn-Dixie' a very cute movie about a little girl and her dog. Anyway anyone interested in adopting a Briard here's a link to the Briard Rescue and Haven, Ajo, AZ. They can ship dogs just about anywhere.

http://www.tabletoptelephone.com/~kaliphi/rescue.php

Our 'Ginger' looks like the 2nd dog Molly except Ginger has her ears up like the first dog in the list. We had the dog evaluated for temperment because we have small children visit often. The dog was abused but she is as docile a dog as I have ever seen.

Donald Iain Scott on 7/22/05 at 20:24 (178882)

This is a very good shoe it has many application with the rocker bottom sole. Gouty Arthritis, Stroke, Dropfoot Syndrome, people with ataxic type gait, or anyone with a propulsion problem it is able to decrease the amount of movement the joints in the forefoot have to do and the Hallux angle is also reduced. It also appear that it can be modified to correct leg length difference internally and/or externally.

I have a 10 year 9 month Old English Sheepdog and we have just finished 3 mile walk. They are great company but all he wants to do is find trees, so that 3 mile might have been a bit longer.

Donald Iain Scott
Australia