Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Another update

Posted by DavidW on 7/18/05 at 19:44 (178583)

Well, I walked 1 mile today with almost no pain. 1 whole mile, yes indeed. Sounds pathetic, but for me, a great milestone. It has been 7 weeks since my 1st LMT (Licensed Massage Therapist) session, and I have continually improved and daily pain levels are diminishing slowly. Basically now my feet just become very sore, but I think it is because they are simply not used to the increased activity after 3 years of doing almost nothing. In two weeks, I'm going for 1.25 miles! Yep, I'm going to do it.

p.s. ScottR, if it wasn't for this site, I would still be crawling around my house on my knees.

Re: Another update

john h on 7/18/05 at 21:31 (178588)

Hey DavidW. After 9 years I am now walking 5k. Not the marathons I once ran but it sure beats the couch.

DavidW on 7/19/05 at 08:01 (178621)

john h, what was your 'cure'?

John H on 7/19/05 at 11:21 (178641)

DavidW: I am not cured. I am just better after 9 years. There was a time I could not walk 1/2 mile. There is not much I have not done over the past 9 years to treat PF. I have come to accept that I have a certain amount of pain I will have to deal with. I could probably get a 'little' better if I did not walk as much or mow the yard,etc but I can deal with the pain better than I can deal with doing nothing. I still will try new treatments if they make sense and I still do some icing after exercise, wear good shoes or Birks and do some various exercises that may or may not help. Clearly I am not at a pain level many are on this board. My feet no longer hurt when I am not on them. Once they did. I can walk an hour with no problem, climb ladders, mow the yard, ride a bike. My pain level these days is between a 2 - 3. Once it was a 6-7. Hang tough David as my take is you reach a certain point and your pain will eventually start to decrease in most cases. It may be a long time but time does march on.

Kathy G on 7/25/05 at 09:14 (179032)

A mile is wonderful, David! You're making terrific progress! It's not pathetic at all. I'm like John in that usually my feet don't hurt when I'm sitting but I can't walk the way I used to. The way I look at it, any walking is better than what I was doing six or seven years ago!

Way to go!