Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

cosmetology surgery on foot

Posted by tonya on 7/18/05 at 20:13 (178585)

Do you do surgery to make the foot look more attractive.

Re: cosmetology surgery on foot

Liboralis on 7/19/05 at 06:23 (178608)

There is a DPM in Manhatan. I dont recall her name but she will amputate 3rd and 4th toe to fit tight shoes better. She may still be in business or are you talking about just the foot for cosmetic reason? If you have a true deformity many times a good surgeon can help. I would caution about getting surg just because you think they may look funny

Ralph on 7/19/05 at 09:31 (178624)

Are you serious about this doc.???? Holy Cow.

Elyse B on 7/19/05 at 12:39 (178655)

yes there is a doctor in Manhattan who does it. I have read about her in the local papers. That is completely nutty in my book.

Ralph on 7/19/05 at 12:48 (178658)

Elyse,
I just can't imagine myself asking to have any of my toes removed. What are women thinking today? Are they vain enough to dump their toes instead of the shoes? Isn't it taking beauty to the extreme when you start cutting off parts of your feet especially if they aren't causing you any problem.

Elyse B on 7/19/05 at 13:12 (178664)

Yes women are vain enough to do something idiotic like that. Just to wear pointy toed and high heeled shoes. But men are vain too so we don't want to just include women in this as men have stupid cosmetic elective stuff done as well.

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/19/05 at 21:47 (178687)

Ralph:
Most podiatrists, I feel safe in saying, do not condone cosmetic foot surgery. Sometimes, when a deformed foot is corrected it will look better but the better appaearance is not the primary reason for doing the procedure.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/20/05 at 22:58 (178753)

Ralph:
There was a time back in the 1950's (no i was not practicng then) that some wome asked podiatrists to cut off the little toes so they could wear the very pointy sholes in style back then.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/20/05 at 23:03 (178754)

Ralph:
Insurance companies are generally not supposed tp pay for cosmetic procedures. A few ave figured out that they can charge more money tham most imsurance plans allow when performing cosmetic surgery. I have a bit of a difficult time figuring out what some of those procedures are.
Ed

maggiem on 7/21/05 at 08:41 (178764)

Elsye,
Don't do it! There was a an article in the New York Times-I think last summer-who had this operation and ended up in constant pain and now only wears sneakers. You are taking a horrible chance. You don't know how bad constant pain is until you have experienced it.

Elyse B on 7/21/05 at 11:13 (178776)

I would never I was just commenting on it.

Dr. Z on 7/22/05 at 18:45 (178865)

This is ridiculous. I know this doctor that you are referring too and she doesn't do toe amputations. This is a make up story

Ralph on 7/22/05 at 20:08 (178872)

Why would the original poster make this story up? Liboralis was responding to someone considering cosmetic surgery in order to wear pointed shoes. The name of the doctor was never posted. Do you know her by her reputation Dr. Z, or the name 'hatchet women':*

Original Post:
Posted by Liboralis on 7/19/05 at 06:23 View Thread
There is a DPM in Manhatan. I dont recall her name but she will amputate 3rd and 4th toe to fit tight shoes better. She may still be in business or are you talking about just the foot for cosmetic reason? If you have a true deformity many times a good surgeon can help. I would caution about getting surg just because you think they may look funny

Posted by Ed Davis, DPM on 7/20/05 at 22:58 View Thread
Ralph:
There was a time back in the 1950's (no i was not practicng then) that some wome asked podiatrists to cut off the little toes so they could wear the very pointy sholes in style back then.
Ed

Ralph on 7/22/05 at 21:26 (178898)

I think it's being done but it's called toe shortening.

Is it worth it? Professionals and podiatrists weigh in on trend that has women shortening toes to fit into heeled shoes.
«Read the Full Article, Sign up today»

Everett Business Journal; 1/1/2004; Folger, Myke

Search for more information on HighBeam Research for Shortening toes.

By now you may have heard about women, almost exclusively in the Manhattan area, who are going to podiatrists and plastic surgeons to have their toes shortened so they can fit into those tiny, sexy, high-heeled shoes they have long admired.

Some say it's plastic surgery gone too far and sets a bad example to girls. Others say, why shouldn't someone have the operation if it makes the person happy?

Manhattan podiatrist Suzanne Levine is in the latter camp. The New York podiatrist said some of her clients invest more in their shoes than they do in their stock portfolio.

Dr. Z on 7/22/05 at 21:30 (178900)

Ralph,
Toe shortening is alot different then amputation.

Liboralis on 7/23/05 at 06:39 (178907)

She is in Manhattan and I heard her talk about it and read it. If she really doesnt and this is an urban legend then she has some money coming from a suit against the NYT or TV. She is an idiot and amputation of a toe or an osteotomy (cutting bone to straighten or shorten)should NEVER EVER be done for cosmetic reasons, it is rape of the foot.

I guess it is semantic argument but cutting bone and throwing it in a dish is not a simple smart decision to make on non diseased tissue. I hope she is sued out of business by now and I am sure he carrier dumped her long ago. That is like an ENT cutting off peoples noses cause some cult wants to look like a pig and just have 2 holes in their face

Elyse B on 7/23/05 at 13:54 (178924)

How come you never believe anything Dr. Z? It is not an urban myth and I remember exactly reading it the NYC newspapers and seeing that podiatrist on the morning shows:

'More than half of the 175 members of the American Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Society who responded to a recent survey by the group said that they had treated patients with problems resulting from cosmetic foot surgery. The society will soon issue a statement condemning the procedures, said Rich Cantrall, its executive director.

The American Podiatric Medical Association is also likely to formally discourage medically unnecessary foot operations, said Dr. Glenn Gastwirth, executive director of the group.
' I think it's reprehensible for a physician to correct someone's feet so they can get into Jimmy Choo shoes,' said Dr. Sharon Dreeben, an orthopedic surgeon in La Jolla, Calif., who is chairwoman of the foot and ankle society's public education committee.

But advocates for the procedures say that critics simply do not understand the importance of high heels. 'Some of these women invest more in their shoes than they do in the stock market,' said Dr. Suzanne M. Levine, an Upper East Side podiatrist who is widely quoted in women's magazines and has appeared on network television promoting the procedures.

'Take your average woman and give her heels instead of flats, and she'll suddenly get whistles on the street,' Dr. Levine said. 'I do everything I can to get them back into their shoes.

Dr. Z on 7/23/05 at 16:17 (178933)

'ere is a DPM in Manhatan. I dont recall her name but she will amputate 3rd and 4th toe to fit tight shoes better '

Elyse- you are correct I don't believe that she is amputating toes. Toe shortening for cosmetic purpose yes. There is a big difference between toe shortening and toe amputation. Its amazing how we go from cosmetic toe shortening to toe amputation . Use your common sense.
Elyse : Posted by Elyse B on 7/23/05 at 13:54 View Thread
How come you never believe anything Dr. Z?

What I am starting to believe is that you are fool that contributes nothing to this site and this site would be better WITHOUT YOU. All you did is insult, arguing and offer nothing to Heelspurs.com

If it continues I will ask Scott to make a choice its either you or Elsye.

Susan on 7/23/05 at 17:14 (178942)

quote from Dr. Z:
' ...I don't believe that she is amputating toes. Toe shortening for cosmetic purpose yes. There is a big difference between toe shortening and toe amputation. Its amazing how we go from cosmetic toe shortening to toe amputation .'

When I read this I went into mild shock. Amazing.

Lindsay on 7/23/05 at 17:50 (178946)

Elyse has contributed alot when I've asked questions. I think she's got alot of good things to say. Can't we all just get along??

Elyse B on 7/23/05 at 20:28 (178947)

thank you Lindsay.

Dr. Z on 7/23/05 at 20:38 (178948)

Susan,
That is exactly what I said. What is amazing is how Elsye thinks that this doctor is doing amputation. I don't agree with cosmetic foot surgery and I have expressed this years ago on this board. Why Elyse has to make statments that I don't believe anything is what really is amazing.

Elyse B on 7/23/05 at 20:44 (178950)

Dr. Z PLEASE READ THE POSTS. Liboralis called it amputation, I NEVER did. I posted an article about Dr. Levine and you jumped down my throat. That is the problem, you don't read the posts and yet you blame. Things would be better here if you followed along and read the posts and did not blame and accuse.

Dr. Z on 7/23/05 at 20:58 (178952)

Lindsay,
The problem is that Elyse shows no respect. I pointed out that I didn't believe that this NYC doctor was amputating toe for cosmetic purpose and here was her response

How come you never believe anything Dr. Z? ( Elyse poster
She got involved with Robert B posting about ESWT and PT and TTS.
Lets see Elyse has attach\ked Sally, Dr. Ed. the list goes on and on.

What ever is my new answer. I have decided to post only when asked by the specific poster by my name DR. Z. This is the only way to resolve this stupidity.

Dr. Z on 7/23/05 at 21:06 (178953)

Are you serious.??? I only jumped down your throat when you made the statement that I don't believe that she is doing amputation, and this was your comment. Never did I disagree about the toe shortening. I have know about every comment about this procedure and position statment by all orthopedic and podiatric organization. I have made my feelings about this years ago on this board. You jumped in with the below statment . I was always talking about the toe amputation. That is a very serious accusation to make and I made it clear that I don't believe it and I still don't believe it and I don't need you to make the dispectful statment that you made below. That is what this is about in my mind. You posted response makes no sense and isn't true. A simple I am sorry is much better.

How come you never believe anything Dr. Z? T

Elyse B on 7/23/05 at 21:32 (178956)

Dr. Z respect is earned. If you cannot read the posts that is not my problem. Again, I will reiterate if you read ALL, THE ABOVE the posts you will see I never used the word 'amputation' Liboralis did. In fact all I posted was about an article and a doctor in Manhattan with no opinion other than saying that I would not have cosmetic surgery on my feet.

I await graciously for your apology for accusing me when you should be directing your anger at someone else about toe amputations. As for Sally, take it up with Scott who suggested that she was posting under another name.

This is completely ridiculous, non-constructive and happens all the time when someone posts something negative about an article or anything about ESWT or foot surgery that goes against what you think or feel. This board should be fair minded and reflect ALL opinions about foot surgery and ESWT and if it is not, then it does not help patients at all. I think that Robert B or John from Mn and others (and Ralph who always posts fair and balanced reports on what he learns) all who had ESWT and it failed for them should be allowed to post their feelings and opinons without being taken to task. If not then this site is just an advertisement for ESWT and foot surgery. Additionally, John from MN and David W's postings about tranverse friction massage helping them should be welcomed as well. I find it extremely interesting that those who have been helped with ART, transverse friction massage etc. are given short shrift by the doctors on this board as an alternative and helpful treatment.

Dr. Z on 7/23/05 at 21:52 (178958)

Why do you ignore the comments directed by you at me. I never stated my opinion about cosmetic surgery which I am completely against. I never stated I supported this ridiculous cosmetic type surgery. My comments were all about stating that she wasn't doing amputations, and then YOU started with I don't believe anything.

Go search the thread about John MN and David W . I have never posted anything negative about this treatment.
You skipped Ralph's post about cosmetic toe shortenng with his clarification that it was toe shortening and not amputation. and then you still go on with stating that I don't believe anything .
This isn't about ESWT, amputation, Art, Transverse friction. It is about you and how you jumped in with your statement again I will quote
How come you never believe anything Dr. Z? Where is this coming from.? It has nothing to do with not reading the above postings.
It is about not being nice.
As far as earning respect. I am way past earning respect . Who do you think help to start this ASK THE DOCTOR BOARD.? It was Dr. Z. I was here from the beginning. I have seen people come and go. I have seen your type of behavior . Hey I am sorry if I have ever offended you but it has to work both ways. I hope that you can realize that yes I do support ESWT but I will try to correct mis- information and this was mis=information and this where from my side I see where you just jumped in with 'How come you never believe anything Dr. ' This is my beef

Re: Elyse......

Scott R on 7/24/05 at 23:04 (179014)

Elyse, you started the fight with Dr Z by posting 'Dr Z why don't you ever believe anything?' in response to his one-sentence post that said toe shortening is not the same as amputation. It seemed pretty clear that you were siding against Dr Z's claim. I read all of the above posts in this thread. If you were replying about something in another thread, you can't expect Dr. Z and the rest of us to figure out what you're talking about. Dr Z has earned the respect of many people who have come and gone and it's been a long time since i saw anyone who had a beef with him. We should have a name for these once-a-year visitors who seem to be itching to get in a fight with the doctors.

You know if any of his patients come from the message board and don't like the ESWT or anything else they receive from him, then they can come back and post. Doctor's put their reputations on the line by posting here. They know I treat the doctors the same as all the other visitors who come here, and that it takes me a long time before I decide someone's really just a doctor-basher more than a contributor or legitimate alternative point of view. The only thing i've done for them is to create the doctors board. As Dr Z says, yes the doctor's board began with his his posting. That's why you can see 'drz' in the URL when you click on the doctor's board index: 'drz' is the message board program's short-hand name for the doctor's board.

The doctors' can't possibly get enough business to justify all their posts. They do it for fun and to help others probably 90% of the time. And that's why it's frustrating for them when they start getting attacked for stating their opinions.

You stated 'If not then this site is just an advertisement for ESWT and foot surgery.' Of course heelspurs.com is not about that. Of course, that's not what the message boards are about. So now you're falling into the pattern of previous doctor-bashers by starting to attack the other 'authority figure' around here, the web site.