Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

subtalar neutral casting for othotics?

Posted by student on 7/19/05 at 11:10 (178640)

I have learned how to create a mold of the foot to send in to companies or even to use myself to make orthotics for patients with excess pronation/supination.... I know that a majority of people who have plantar fasciitis have problems with excess pronation so I was wondering if anyone knew if just doing the subtalar neutral casting, sending it into a company, and telling them the patient has plantar fasciitis is enough for them to be able to make an orthotic for them?

Re: subtalar neutral casting for othotics?

Ralph on 7/19/05 at 12:54 (178659)

Sounds like your skirting the middleman, a doctor. Surely if you were a Pod. student they would cover this somewhere rather than sending their students to the internet to seek out this information.

Have you called any labs?

Larry Huppin, DPM on 7/29/05 at 16:05 (179439)

I am the medical director for ProLab Orthotics and a podiatrist specializing in orthotic therapy in Seattle. Most high-quality orthotic labs will not accept casts for production of orthotics without a doctors prescription. In fact, the success of foot orthotics in achieving optimal clinical outcomes is based primarily on the knowledge of the examining and prescribing physician. Sending casts to a lab with a prescription that says 'plantar fasciitis - make orthotics', is like sending a prescription for eyeglasses to a optical lab that says nothing but 'nearsighted - make glasses'. They may help a little, but they are not likely to take care of the problem.

Dr. Z on 7/29/05 at 16:55 (179446)

I agree with you 100% , but the proper fabrication and understanding of a non-weightbearing cast in subtalar joint neutral is the art behind the science

Larry Huppin, DPM on 7/29/05 at 17:05 (179448)

No argument at all.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/02/05 at 16:43 (179755)

I think you will find a number of frustrated posters here who got their 'orhtotics' via non-professional sources or even , occasioally doctors who felt they needed to compete with those sources by taking the same shortcuts. Is it not about time that we had an organization that can certify providers and labs os the public really knows what they are getting?

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/02/05 at 16:46 (179756)

PS I think that PFOLA was a step in the right direction but needs to get a lot moreserious about ceritifying providers, labs, etc., if that is possible.

Larry Huppin, DPM on 8/03/05 at 14:39 (179868)

I agree with you Ed, but the reality is that medical regulation of any kind is, in most cases, political at the state level and this will be a state-by-state issue. In the meantime, ProLab and other quality labs can help direct people to quality practitioners in their localities.

Richard, C.Ped on 8/04/05 at 09:07 (179951)

It is a shame that orthosis providers can not be licenced somehow to regulate how they dispense. It would be hard to regulate how someone makes a custom device though. It is just like in the automotive field, one ASE certified technician can work on your car much differently then another ASE tech.

It is those who do not know how to provide good customer service as well as a good follow up that gets under my skin. Treat people the way you want to be treated....that is what I go by.