Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Time Wasters

Posted by Richard, C.Ped on 7/19/05 at 12:41 (178656)

This one took me 97 moves the first time.
http://www.johnrausch.com/SlidingBlockPuzzles/escape.htm

Re: Time Wasters

RC on 7/23/05 at 01:31 (178904)

I can do it in 28 moves:

12-13-8-9-7-3-2-4-11-10-1-4-A-1-4-A-2-5-11-10-A-13-8-A-7-6-9-A

Generally each piece moves as far as possible, except near the end when it must not block A's path to the final square.

I can't find the best solution, which takes 27 moves. This is, of course, driving me nuts.

Kathy G on 7/26/05 at 08:38 (179103)

This is cool, Richard! I will come back later on today and waste time on it! I remember when my sister, who's seven years older than me, used to play with one of these puzzles when we were in the car. Of course, being a mean sister, she wouldn't let me touch it! :D Thanks for the link.

Richard, C.Ped on 7/26/05 at 12:45 (179145)

This one is driving me nuts!!!!!!!
http://www.johnrausch.com/SlidingBlockPuzzles/jhanoi.htm

Kathy G on 7/27/05 at 07:55 (179233)

I just tried that one for a while. Is it possible to solve it? You know, maybe my older sister wasn't so mean when she wouldn't let me play with her sliding puzzle.

This is a great site and I have a friend who will love it. Thanks, Richard and let me know if you can solve that one.

Richard, C.Ped on 7/27/05 at 13:31 (179258)

I am not even close to solving that one Kathy. I am just a simple minded C.Ped...haha. I bet John H. could scare that puzzle into submission. haha

Re: I did it!

R C on 7/27/05 at 22:04 (179293)

Yay me - I solved the 'Towers of Hanoi' puzzle in the minimum 161 moves. There is actually a pattern to the solution. Once you get a feel for it, you can cruise to the end with only moderate concentration. Some hints. Every odd numbered move is to move the longest block as far as it can go. Every even numbered move involves moving some other block as far as it can go; there are always exactly two choices, one of which is correct, the other of which is a dead end. This is where the pattern comes in - hard to describe in words. Halfway through the solution, you will have moved all five blocks to the upper right portion of the puzzle; the second half of the solution is to simply repeat the analogous sequence of moves to get the blocks to the lower right.

Re: Here are the first few moves of the solution

R C on 7/27/05 at 22:09 (179294)

The letters refer to the blocks, A for shortest, E for longest. The first few moves of the puzzle are:

EDEDECEDEDECEDEDEBEDEDECED...

In each move you have to move the indicated block as far as it can go. If you try the above, you'll see the pattern.

Re: Here are the first few moves of the solution

Richard, C.Ped on 7/28/05 at 07:44 (179304)

ahhhh....a special thanks goes out to RC the whiz kid!!! whoo hoo!!!

Re: I did it!

Richard, C.Ped on 7/28/05 at 08:19 (179308)

I did it too...thanks for the head start RC.

Re: I don't think I ever will!

Kathy G on 7/28/05 at 09:16 (179314)

Nope, I don't think this are for me! I love jigsaw puzzles and word puzzles but after a few minutes of attempting these, I'm ready to throw something at the computer! For anyone who likes jigsaws, there's a site called jigzone.com that will send you a puzzle a day. You can choose different configurations and make them hard or easy. Those I like.

But I've marked this place, Richard, and I'll keep coming back to it until I figure out at least the easiest one!

Kudos to you and RC!