Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Remedy for heel pain

Posted by Marianna on 7/20/05 at 12:50 (178711)

Do cortisone shots do any good for heel spurs?

Thank you

Re: Remedy for heel pain

DianeT on 7/20/05 at 13:28 (178715)

I have heard from some people that they worked. But for me it didn't and I have had four of them. Give it a try, you may get lucky! Good Luck - keep in touch.

Lindsay on 7/20/05 at 14:51 (178722)

In my opinion no they do not work. From what the Dr. told me, they help the symptoms, not treat the cause. I had 2, and they led to a ruptured plantar fascia. Do a search on this site. You will find many articles, good and bad about cortisone shots.

Marianna on 7/20/05 at 17:14 (178737)

Thanks for the input

Hoopa on 7/20/05 at 17:33 (178739)

I had a cortisone shot on 07/05/05 and got some relief from the pain. However, I am noticing that as time goes on, the pain is slowly coming back. So in my case, at least, it might be temporary and I may need a second injection. There are some people who do get a lot more relief. Talk about it with your podiatrist. That is the best thing to do.

Marianna on 7/21/05 at 10:38 (178773)

Thanks for your input. Was it painful?

fernando on 7/21/05 at 11:05 (178775)

yes, I little of bit painful, if this is your first cortisone shot, you can give it a try, but if it does not work, do not do it again.

DavidW on 7/21/05 at 19:20 (178808)

It seems to me that cortizone is strictly for pain management and will never lead to a cure of any kind, so I guess I don't understand why anyone would get the shot unless they were in dire pain. I have refused cortizone shots several times from various doctors, and by I am sure glad.

elvis on 7/21/05 at 21:29 (178816)

David..........I know several runners who have gotten cortisone shots that 'cured' the pf immediately. They have never had heel pain since. Like Dr. Z has said, I bleieve, that it is more for acute pf or for early on treatment as pf is developing into chronic pf. If it gets rid of the pain and prevents it from turning into chronic pf then one would look pretty silly by not getting the shot. One shot has a very low likelihood of causing a pf rupture. The pain is not as bad as it sounds. I had 3 cortisone shots. The first in April 2004, the second in Spet 2004 and the last one in October 2004. The orthopedic surgeon who gave me the shots used to be the San Diego Chargers orthopedic surgeon. I asked him about rupture and he had never seen it in his practice. He thought the risk was low and the benefit high.

Hoopa on 7/21/05 at 21:59 (178818)

I have read some posts on this board where people say that they have had a lot of trouble with the cortisone shots. My podiatrist did tell me that if a second shot was needed, he would do it. However, I called him about a week after the first visit and told him that I was experiencing a pulling sensation in the underside of my foot. The doctor told me that he felt that it was too early to consider another shot. I am now wondering if the reason that some people have trouble with cortisone is because they do not give area that the injection is given in enough time to heal. Is that a possibility?

joanna cheah on 2/15/06 at 21:25 (193605)

Severe pain at the right heel for quite sometimes.After a few hours of standing the pain is so bad I hardly can walk. What remedy can you recommand me please.