Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Finding ESWT Providers

Posted by Martin M on 7/24/05 at 12:34 (178990)

How can I find out about who provides ESWT in Dublin, Ireland ? My General Practitioner doesn't know.

Re: Finding ESWT Providers

Dr. Z on 7/24/05 at 14:46 (178999)

Hi
Go to the web site http://www.ismst.com

and look under your country for members who do ESWT.

Re: Finding ESWT Doc's.......?

Dr. Wishnie on 1/06/06 at 06:27 (190861)

a lot of BC/BS plans cover ESWT but in order to make sure we precertify. I am in NJ and if you like we can precertify it for you. Our group has performed the most number of ESWTs with successful results of about 94%. You can contact me via my website at: http://www.stopfootpainfast.com . Be well. Sincerely, Dr. Wishnie

Dr. David S. Wander on 1/06/06 at 13:30 (190898)

Peter, success rates of 94% are extremely high and well above any published data results. What do you believe is contributing to your extremely high success rate compared to the lower success rates of all the other published studies?

Dr. Z on 1/06/06 at 16:27 (190903)

David,
I believe that Peter is quoting the PUBLISHED one year follow-up of patients that were contacted after the Dornier FDA PMA. You can find this article in Foot and Ankle International. It was written by multiple physicians such as Dr. Zingas, etc 94% is a R/M evaluation
Dr. Furia recently published a 12 week R/M success rate of 83% . This can be found in Orthopedic's Today.

Dr. David S. Wander on 1/06/06 at 19:03 (190927)

Dave, I did not get that impression from his message. The message seemed pretty clear when he stated 'Our group has performed the most amount of ESWT's with success rates of 94%'. When he mentioned 'our group', it certainly infers that he is talking about his office, not a study group. If he is referring to a study group or certain published studies, his posting is a little misleading.

Dr. Z on 1/06/06 at 19:13 (190930)

David
I am sure Peter will clarify group vs study. His post did appear to mean his group. I was referring to studies. My point being that there are multiple WELL published studies showing HIGH success rates.

Foot Ankle Int. 2004 May;25(5):290-7.
Extracorporeal shock wave therapy for the treatment of plantar fasciitis.
Theodore GH, Buch M, Amendola A, Bachmann C, Fleming LL, Zingas C.
Foot and Ankle Surgery, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA. GTheodore at Partners.org
One hundred fifty patients were enrolled in a multicenter, randomized, placebo-controlled, prospective, double-blind study to assess the clinical safety and effectiveness of extracorporeal shock wave therapy (ESWT) using the Dornier Epos Ultra for the treatment of plantar fasciitis. The Active Group was treated with electromagnetically generated shocks using ultrasound guidance during a single therapy session. The Control Group received a sham treatment under similar clinical conditions. The groups were demographically similar with respect to age, height, and weight. The average duration of symptoms was nearly 2 years in both groups. All patients were evaluated by the visual analog scale for pain, American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society scores, Roles and Maudsley Score, SF-12 health status questionnaire, and physical examination. The Active Group reported 56% success at 3 months and 94% success at 12 months posttreatment. The Control Group reported 47% success at 3 months posttreatment. Twelve-month data were not collected for the Control Group as they were unblinded at 3 months and offered treatment. ESWT represents a safe treatment option for chronic proximal plantar fasciitis.

Dr. Wishnie on 1/06/06 at 20:44 (190935)

I did mean our group, meaning the doc's trained by Excellence. But as Dr Z says there are studies too.

raj j on 1/06/06 at 23:14 (190944)

you said your group performs the most number of Eswt treatments with the highest success rate. Which other eswt companies did you base these facts against and made your comparision, and how did you manage to get their treatment numbers and know their success rates? Success rates are based on patients previous condition and diagnosis. There is absolutely nothing different you do than that of other shockwave companies. Finally there are atleast 2 other shockwave companies that perform more treatments than Excellence. In fact, there is one company that is expanding at an unbelievable rate and seems to preffered by 3 out 4 podiatrist.

Dr. Z on 1/06/06 at 23:38 (190947)

As the ESWT medical Director for Excellence I have never tried to compare any company success rates or tried. I really am not trying to get into any type of argument so lets just move on.. If you are associated with any other ESWT company be happy when ever insurance companies contract with any ESWT company. I am happy that this company you don't mention is expanding and doing ESWT procedures. I am happy when patients get a service covered that is effective. I have seen ESWT go from no code/coverage back in 1999 to both professional and technical coverage in 2006. ESWT has come a very long way. We should all be proud and happy.

Dr. David S. Wander on 1/07/06 at 13:00 (190981)

Dr. Z,
As medical director of Excellence Shock Wave, of which Dr. Wishnie and I are both providers, do you believe that the success rate is really 94%? Forget about the studies that you've cited. I'm asking you directly, with the patients that you've treated, do you believe that the overall success rate with Excellence patients has been 94%?

Dr. Z on 1/07/06 at 14:02 (190988)

The success rate is over 94% using R/M scoring with the patients that have returned one year follow up detailed questionaires, that completed all treatment recommendations.
The reason why I used the published information is that it has been duplicated TWICE. The patients that were the sham/control were offered ESWT at 12 weeks and folowed up for one year . The patients that responded to follow-up rated a 93% success rate. The orginal group reported 94% . Its an intereting article . I would recommend reading it. ESWT has been the most studied procedure used for heel pain in the world. The problem with reported succes rates is that the time frame is just as important.
I also believe that if you don't treat plantar fasciosis with ESWT as fast as possible before there is other lower extremity compensatory problems the sucess of all treatment is less sucessful.
I hope I have answered you question so I make sure and give you my YES I do feel the success rate is 94% at the one year time frame as medical director, and most important a podiatrist.

There was major decision with an old poster named Elliott who worked for medicare. He has alot of interesting, eye opening comments

Dr. Z on 1/07/06 at 14:04 (190989)

Should be major discussions with my old friend Elliott years ago. He works for medicare and gave some very interesting insights into ESWT success rates and FDA studies.

Dr Ben Pearl on 1/10/06 at 19:00 (191215)

My office is in the Dc area. 703-516-9408.
Blue cross cover procedure in capital area.