Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Ruptured Achilles Tendon

Posted by Teresa W on 7/25/05 at 07:57 (179022)

I recently went to a surgeon concerning a lump that had developed on the back of my heel. I had intense pain over 7 months ago, but never sought medical advice. The pain subsided and I went on my merry way. Shortly before the pain went away, I noticed a small lump on my heel. It was sore, but not painful. I had a time wearing shoes, because the shoes pushed the lump into my heel and caused me to be uncomfortable. The pain stopped shortly after the lump arrived. Now I am being told that I have a torn Achilles Tendon, caused by bone spurs on the back of my heel and on the bottom of my foot. He diagnoised me as having 'plantar fascitis'.
He now wants to do surgery. I am having no pain. It is sore sometimes because I wear tennis shoes to work. I am a teacher so I am on my feet a lot. I am scared to death about having surgery. Will it heal properly or am I facing more pain. I suffered for almost a year with the plantars fascitis, I really don't want any more pain. Will this condition worsen if I don't have surgery? Can my Achilles Tendon ruture totally? I saw on the xray that the site of my lump is also right above the bone spur on my heel. Can the heel spur keep rubbing my tendon cause more damage?