Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Lance Armstrong

Posted by Kathy G on 7/26/05 at 10:07 (179111)

Isn't he amazing? Throw in the cancer and there aren't words to describe his accomplishment. I so admire him for having put his name out there and started the fund to raise money for cancer research.

I'm sorry his dedication led to his divorce but I don't imagine it was easy to live with someone so obsessed. I hope he settles down and has a happy personal life now.

The house we rented on the Cape had access to the Outdoor Living Network, which isn't even available to us here in NH, and my husband, a casual cyclist, enjoyed watching the progress each night.

Re: Lance Armstrong

John H on 7/26/05 at 11:21 (179122)

Lance has to be the athlete of the decade. I cannot imagine anyone ever again winning 7 tour de france in a row. I bet he has zero body fat. I think I heard the bikers burned an average of 140,000 callories over the three weeks.

Elyse B on 7/26/05 at 11:38 (179127)

John, Lance is very special as he is one of the few atheletes in the world that has an incredible VO2 max which means he can train anerobically for longer periods than most people. He mentioned he was going to try and run a marathon in 2.15 (which is close to the world record) and I bet he does. He was a runner before he cycled. 140,000 calories, which I could burn that then I could get all the Hostess cupcakes I wanted.

Ralph on 7/26/05 at 12:05 (179132)

I heard that early on in his career he lost 13 pounds during one race because he lost so much water and didn't rehydrate enough.

One of the commentators said that the riders ate the same meal each day during the tour. Beans, fish, brown rice I forget the rest of their menu, but it's was lots of protein. Wonder if he's eating ice cream now.

Re: Lance Armstrong..anyone read his book?

LindaV on 7/27/05 at 07:37 (179228)

One of my cancer patients told me he read the book and it was wonderful in every aspect....especially for him, it gave him a different outlook and great hope.

Re: Lance Armstrong..anyone read his book?

Kathy G on 7/27/05 at 07:45 (179229)

I haven't read it, Linda. It's on my list, which is about one hundred books long! Isn't it wonderful that he used his experience to help others?

John H on 7/27/05 at 09:11 (179244)

Elyse: I think I might eat 140,000 calories in 3 weeks.

Elyse B on 7/27/05 at 14:28 (179264)

thank god for good genetics because I am the biggest junk food junkie (McDonalds, cookies etc.) Thankfully, thinness runs in my family, and I would be 500 pounds with the way I eat if not for those good genes. I have been trying to be more careful and taking vitamins as I need to eat right for my running and to intake the right stuff. I never even attempted to count my daily caloric intake.