Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

To Richard

Posted by Ralph on 7/26/05 at 19:38 (179186)

My doctor suggested a lift for my left foot so I purchased a moderate priced running shoe that lent itself to having the lift sandwitched between
the sole of the shoe. The shoes pre lift were pretty comfortable, but not as comfortable as my old faithful NB shoes

I've tried getting used to the lift gradually like you'd break in a new pair of orthotics, wearing the shoes for short periods of time and increasing it daily, but the problem I'm having is that the lift seems to agravate the P.F. in my arch. It feels like I have a defined pencil running horizontal just in front of my heel like a roller bar is there.

I just went back to the doctor and he is suggesting that I try having a pair of orthotics made with the lift built into the orthotic. He doesn't make or order orthotics. I'd have to go to a person thai makes orthotics and was given a list of names.

Question: How are lifts built into orthotics? I've not been able to wear the orthotics I've had made in the past so I'm a bit skeptical about having another pair made.

The lift is being suggested to help my lower back. Apparently I have one leg shorter than the other now and he thinks the lift would help to keep my pelvis and hip in place reducing the strain in my lower back.

Can you please tell me more about the design of lifts built into an orthotic and are their different kinds of materials available. I don't think a hard orthotic would work at all.
Thanks

Re: To Richard

Dr. Z on 7/26/05 at 21:13 (179193)

Ralph,
Its called a post. This is a rubber type material that is placed on the underside of the orthosis. Do you have orthosis now? If you don't have severe biomechanical problems with your feet try the power step with a heel lift modification. I believe you can purchase the lift to add to the insert.

Richard, C.Ped on 7/27/05 at 07:54 (179232)

Make sure the lift you bought is the correct measurement for your condition. I get many prescriptions for lifts, but the measurement has not been taken yet. Adding a lift to an orthosis is very easy. Since we grind our orthosis flat on the bottom, instead of round, the lift is placed on the orthosis with ease.

I would stay away from gel lifts because they compact quickly.

Ralph on 7/27/05 at 16:00 (179272)

The doctor took a xray with a grid to get the lift measurements. He is ordering two different heights, one for the front of the foot and a higher one for the heel. Will it sit flat inside my shoe and when you put a lift inside the shoe do you need a deeper shoe?

Richard, C.Ped on 7/28/05 at 07:43 (179303)

It depends on the measurements. If the lift is a 1/2' or more, I would suggest having the lifts added to the shoe. If not, your foot may be 'pushed' out of the shoe.