Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

To Jean Z, about diet

Posted by Jan P on 7/26/05 at 21:24 (179195)

I read with interest your earlier post about the diet you feel helped your pf. I'm totally in the dark about that type of diet, and my google searches so far haven't yielded much. Can you tell me the search words to use or give me ideas as to what is included in your diet? Thanks so much.

Re: To Jean Z, about diet

Jean Z on 7/27/05 at 07:56 (179235)

Jan P.
I started following the diet suggested in the book 'The Perricone Promise' by Dr. Perricone. It wasn't touted as a weight loss diet, but one that is healthy for your skin and body. As stated previously, I didn't relate the diet to the relief in PF pain until recently when I was off the diet for a week and the pain came back. I don't really remember now how long it took for the diet to actually work on the PF pain as I wasn't looking for that benefit. Basically I just started incorporating the high anti-inflammatory foods in my regular diet. I eat a lot of salmon (wild Alaskan when I can), spinach, blueberries, etc. A typical day would include a fruit smoothie for breakfast made with Kefir(a low fat probiotic yogurt) pomegranate juice, blueberries and strawberries. For lunch I usually have a spinach salad with salmon, almonds and cilantro. For dinner I usually have chicken breast with broccoli and brown rice. For a snack I will have an apple or a hand full of walnuts. I switched from coffee to green tea and white tea I found one good article on the subject, but there are many more. Just copy and paste the following to your browser to take a look. I would also suggest you take a look at the book, The Pericon Promise. It was helpful to me. Hope this helps.
http://www.gelsons.com/services/nutrition/2004/nutrifeb2.asp

Re: To Jean Z, about diet

Jan P on 7/27/05 at 08:36 (179240)

Thanks so much for the info, Jean! I will give it more study. I am so thankful for all the helpful people on this site!

Re: I started your diet...

Robin P on 7/27/05 at 18:52 (179279)

...a few days ago, after seeing your post. I tend to binge on refined carbohydrates, like cookies and crackers, so the anti-inflamation foods are a big change for me. So far, I love it! Eating these kinds of foods has totally eliminated my desire to eat junk foods, and I've lost a few pounds. If it helps my PF, that will just be icing on the whole grain cake! Thanks for sharing this valuable information.

Re: I started your diet...

Jean Z on 7/28/05 at 19:40 (179338)

Good for you! I hope this works for you. Give it at least a couple of months. I know that sounds like a long time, but after suffering for years, a couple of months is not that long. If it does help you or anyone else out there, it will be worth it. I'm sure everone else would like to know if it helps. Keep us updated. Keep the faith!