Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Waiting for ESWT......

Posted by Tracy D on 7/27/05 at 08:51 (179241)

I've been checking out this board and decided I get confused on whether I should have ESWT or possibly surgery. I know the pain I have been dealing with and the tears I cry now. I keep asking myself everyday I take the first step - 'Will GOD give me just one pain free day?'. I wonder if I will ever get the ability to walk the park with my 2yr. old grandson. I am just under 40 and for 8 years I've done it all. (Cortisone, inserts, streching, all anti-inflammatories, taping, ice, recently physical theropy, sit down jobs to unemployment, and very reduced activity to handing over simple tasks to my husband) I understand ESWT takes a long time to recover. I wish for one night of sleep without pain and insomnia and one day of walking in the park. I ask this question only trying to help decide on less stress for my family. Who knows how much more they can handle. Is ESWT worth trying or can things get worse than they already are????? I'm interested in long term results (Did the pain intensify?) (email removed)

Re: Waiting for ESWT......

Elyse B on 7/27/05 at 13:44 (179261)

I am sorry you are in such pain. We have all been there. Drs. Ed and Z. should be able to respond and help you with your questions with tons of specificty regarding ESWT.

DavidW on 7/27/05 at 18:58 (179280)

Tracy D, what are your symptoms?

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/27/05 at 21:29 (179288)

Tracy:

Make sure you have studied Scott's Heel Pain Book thoroughly to understand the various treatment options. Keep in mind that surgery or ESWT is only for intractable plantar fasciitis, that is, PF that has not responded to the conventional trreatments Scott lists. You have done a lot of things but much depends on how you do them.

If you truly have intractable PF, then both Dr. Z and myself favor ESWT over surgery. It takes a long time to recover from surgery. It takes a very short time to recover from ESWT but it can take a long time to see positive effects of ESWT. ESWT is less expensive than surgery unless you have to pay out of pocket. I have not seen a patient who has had ESWT get worse than they are.
Ed

John H on 8/01/05 at 11:42 (179644)

I have had 4 ESWT treatments on each foot. No pain for me and no bad results. The treatments in my case helped for a while but did not cure the problem. I would gladly and may again try another treatment on both feet. I know of at least one person who had 11 treatments on each foot. He was cured according to his last report. This treatment is no worse than a flu shot.