Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Retrocalcaneal Exostosis

Posted by jnash on 7/27/05 at 10:34 (179248)

I have had heel pain for about 10 years centralized around the Achilles tendon insertion.

12 years ago, underwent cortisone injections (4 in each heel over a period of a year) which I now hear was a big big no-no. (This was done by a military orthopedic surgeon

Also underwent heel lifts, stretching, ultrasound, hot/cold, NSAIDS, etc...

Not much relief with the exception of the cortisone injections (what a relief, painful as hell, but wonderful for about 3 months)

Have lived with the pain for about 12 years now, and usually eases after about 2 hours in the morning.

Now for the last 3 months, pain has been consistent throughout the day.

Went to get x-rays, and to see a podiatrist... Podiatrist explained that:

1) Deformities in the feet were present
2) Onset of arthritis throughout top of feet
3) Spurs near plantar fascia on both feet
4) Multiple spurs on heel near Achilles tendon
5) Calcification of the Achilles tendon predominantly on the left foot (about 1 1/2 inches) with spur growing into tendon

Diag is: Retrocalcaneal Exostosis and Achilles tendonitis and plantar fasciitis

He said that unfortunately, there was not much further for treatment as the methods indicated above have not helped... he basically shook his head and said 'I'm sorry, nothing we can do' he did refer me to physical therapy, and gave me PPT heel lifts

Any advice? Long term diag? Is this forever, and is it going to get worse? Am I going to be in a wheel chair soon?

Thanks for anything!

Stuck with the pain

Re: Retrocalcaneal Exostosis

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/27/05 at 10:45 (179249)

If you have that bad first step morning pain and there is pain when you press on the back of the heel bone where the Achilles Tendon inserts and you have pretty good ankle range of motion then ESWT can be very effective for your very painful condition. If you would like additional information about this non-invasive procedure I would be happy to send you additonal information. Just e-mail Dr. Zuckerman at (email removed) Feel free to ask any additional questions

Re: Retrocalcaneal Exostosis

jnash on 7/28/05 at 10:14 (179318)

Any suggestions for locating a local DPM (Baltimore) that would concur that ESWT would be a viable option for treatment? I'd like to pursue this as absolutely _no_ conventional treament has been helpful, and now the pain is constant throughout the day, not just after rest, or in the mornings as previous. (I know that there are surgical options for plantar fasciitis, but what I have is a spur going into the achilles tendon which is where my pain is concentrated in. The plantar fasciitis doesn't even bother me anymore, nor the arthritis that was diag'd as well. My X-rays look awful.