Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Ultrasound and plantar fascia

Posted by Mike C on 7/29/05 at 11:02 (179388)

I can purchase an ultra sound unit with a Output Frequency of 1.0Mhz, and use if for my heel problem, (plantar fascia). However, I did not want to waste my time or money if it would do no good. So, I wanted to know if I should buy the unit and how should I use it and for how long, and how often? Thank you for your reply.
Mike C. 800 378-7905

Re: Ultrasound and plantar fascia

Ralph on 7/29/05 at 12:53 (179411)

I was told that Ultrasound machines are not sold to lay people by my physical therapist because it's a regulated medical device. Wouldn't it have to be FDA approved for home use to have a lay person purchase one?

Is the one you are planning on purchasing similar to those at P.T. sites or on a smaller scale?

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/29/05 at 13:23 (179414)

You are correct as therapeutic ultrasound is not a totally benign modality.
If you want to see how powerful it really is fill a glass with water and then apply the ultrasound head to it with the ultrasound gel. The water will bubble, known as 'cavitation.' The denser the medium the more of the ultrasound wave is aborbed and the heat felt is actually the sound wave vibrations radiating energy back to the skin.

Dee on 8/04/05 at 21:07 (180024)

I rented an ultrasound machine for a couple of months post surgery. I'm in Canada and here anybody could rent or buy one. A local surgical supply store gave me the manufacturer's phone number for renting.