Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What percentage of people with PF have surgery on both feet?

Posted by Leopold on 7/29/05 at 23:15 (179474)

Hi,

I had surgery for pf about 11 mos. ago and my foot is starting to feel so much better then my non-surgery foot that I am wondering if I shouldn't have the same surgery on my other foot. I have bone spurs in both feet.
I was wondering if most people that have surgery for PF usually have both feet done. I wonder what percentage it is? Anybody know?

Leopold

Re: What percentage of people with PF have surgery on both feet?

Dr. Z on 7/30/05 at 07:46 (179477)

This is a very good question. It is my opinion that very very few especially at the same time. Why ?
1. Increased complications such as calcaneal cuboid syndrome
2. Many times the other foot will heal due to the other foot being healed
3. You will have a very difficult time walking for a very long time during the post surgical healing time

Leopold on 7/30/05 at 15:43 (179489)

Dr. Z,

I think I should of been clearer on my question. I should of said what percentage of people will have surgery done on one foot and then decide to have the other one done too (not at the same time) because the first surgery offer so much relief from PF.

I have a few questions for you. What is Cuboid syndrome and are you chances greater of getting it if you have two surgeries? How can the other foot heal if you still have a bone spur even though the other foot is healed?
Hope this isn't to confusing.

Leopold

Dr. Z on 7/30/05 at 22:20 (179504)

Hi
It does happen . When ever you have a pf release you change the weight bearing ability and shift of the weight bearing to the outside of the foot. This can be temporary and or permenent depending on how the plantar fascia heals. I would try to avoid bilateral plantar fascia releases due to the changes it can cause to the human foot mechanics.

april l on 7/31/05 at 10:56 (179534)

I had the surgery on both feet 7 yrs. apart. When I had my first EPF surgery on my right foot in 1997, my left foot was just starting to get pf. While recovering from the surgery I really had two bad feet. The surgical right foot was really bad due to the long recovery and the left foot was getting worse gradually. Then, as time went on I started to notice that my surgical right foot was hurting less than my left foot. Still, I did not want surgery on the left foot (although I considered it), because I was afraid of the possible complications. I gave it seven years. My right foot healed completely and I still had to suffer with the left foot all the time. So I decided it was worth the risks for me. As with my right foot, my left foot never responded to any of the conservative treatments. It just continued to get worse, even when I took 4 months off work to rest it. I think 7 yrs is a long time to suffer. So for me, surgery on both feet was the answer and I'm doing well. Still, I did not rush into it because both times the surgery was an ordeal to say the least. Recovery for me was difficult and discouraging. It is not a quick fix.

denise h on 7/31/05 at 11:23 (179537)

i am going to have the surgery on one foot aug 17. can you tell me what to expect with this operation both feet need it but the right foot hurts the most right now thats the one he is doing first. is the pain bad when you first have the surgery or torlerable?

denise h on 7/31/05 at 11:25 (179538)

what is the post surgical time on this ? im having it done on my right foot first on august 17

Leopold on 7/31/05 at 11:42 (179539)

Denise

I had my foot surgery done Sept. 2004 and I am doing better but still recovering. I have heard the recovery is 6-12 mos. I think alot of it depends on how long you have been dealing with the condition. I think the longer you have it the longer to recover, as I had it for 8 years before I had the surgery and still in recovery. I would do it again though even though I'm not completely recovered because I have had quite a bit of relief. I like the fact that I have been able to go back to walking 30 min. walks and not have to suffer with too much pain afterwards. Denise, best of luck with your surgery and keep us posted how you are doing.

Leopold

april on 7/31/05 at 16:01 (179549)

I can tell you how it was for me after surgery. The actual surgery is not too bad. Had to stay off my feet for 3 days and was given vicodin for pain. After three days I began walking on it. Recovery is a long process. Don't expect to be cured instantly. It took over a year to become pain free with my first surgery and about 10 months with my second. There are setbacks and it can be disappointing, but if you choose surgery, try to remember that it takes time. I had physical therapy before and after surgery. I also did stretching and massaging at home every day. Good luck.

denise h on 7/31/05 at 16:08 (179550)

could you walk after you had the surgery could you tell me some things about it?i have had it over year now at least this last year has been so rough for me to get around .i guess it really didnt bother me much until then but ever since last july of last year i have been miserable. what kind of bandage do they put on you after surgery? how many stitches did you have ?how long before you could walk on it ?they are going do do ther pther foot when they get through with this one.

denise h on 7/31/05 at 16:12 (179552)

the surgery is set for aug17 and im really scared. i stand on my my feet on my job sometimes for 8 hours a day and sometimes i drive a forklift but when i stand on my feet i leave out of their limping so how long do you think it would be before i could return to work and stand on my feet?

denise h on 7/31/05 at 16:13 (179553)

thany you and god bless you.

april on 7/31/05 at 16:44 (179555)

It's hard to say. I am a waitress and I was off work for 4 months after the surgery. Then I went back only working 2 days for only 4 hours a day. When i went back, the pain was bad standing on my feet. I was in tears after my shifts. Gradually, it got better. It takes time. I had a doctor who said 'use it or lose it' so i walked on it and tried not to baby it. I still only work the 4 hour shifts but when I leave my pain is minimal or no pain at all. Prior to surgery, I was in severe pain after work. having the surgery is scary, but mostly because nobody wants to be worse off after. For me nothing else worked so I was willing to take the risk. It was helpful to me personally, but honestly, if I had a third foot with pf, I would still be scared.

Dr. Z on 7/31/05 at 17:41 (179560)

Denise H
Healing time will vary with each person. Pain can last for months with complete healing at least six months or more. You may be placed into a cast. Suture up to two weeks.
IF I were you I would investigate ESWT and its benefits over heel spur surgery. There is lots of information on this board.

denise h on 7/31/05 at 19:12 (179566)

thankyou and god bless but what is eswt? my doctor never mention anything like that he just said surgery on the 17th of aug.

Dr. Z on 7/31/05 at 19:33 (179569)

Hi
This is a non-invasive procedure that is an alternative for heel pf surgery. Read Scott heel pain book. or go to the web site http://www.eswtusa.com and read about it

denise h on 7/31/05 at 19:34 (179570)

april can you tell some about it the surgery i mean. how many stitches ? when you left the hospital id you have a cast or ace bandage?

denise h on 7/31/05 at 19:38 (179572)

hi dr.z this is denise can you rell me about the surgery part of it?what it details i go back to my doctor on the 16th and he is suppose to go over everything then but i cant help but wonder whats going to happen to my foot that is 2 weeks away still

Dr. Z on 7/31/05 at 19:57 (179575)

Hi
There are three methods for the surgical approach for pf
1. EPF- this is where they use a scope and cut a portion of the plantar fascia
2. Open surgical release with heel spur excision

3 Miminial incision approach. This is usually done thru the bottom with the use of a small incision. I will use a fluroscope ( x-ray view device) to locate the insertion and cut and remove both a portion of the fascia and the bone.
I have to let you know that I don't favor any first before ESWT . I am the medical director for a large ESWT company. I have been in practice for 25 years and have stopped doing pf surgery and use ESWT.
I would be happy to discuss the specific type of approach that your doctor is advising when you find out and if you wish to discuss this.
I believe that the ACFAS ( wwww.ACFAS.com ) has a description of heel spur surgery and its list of potential complications.

Dr. Z on 7/31/05 at 20:00 (179576)

Denise

Type in surgery in the heelpain search engine. Scott Roberts the web master has some additional information that may be helpful to you

april on 7/31/05 at 22:19 (179586)

I had endoscopic surgery, with 2 incisions on both sides of my heel. I believe I had 2 stitches on each side. My foot was bandaged and I was given one of those surgical shoes to wear. Stayed off my feet for three days. First day or two I had to have ice on it, 30 mins on, then 30 mins off. My doctor did not put me in a cast.

Re: To Denise- My surgical experience

Lindsay on 7/31/05 at 23:12 (179591)

Hello Denise,
I had an open plantar fasciotomy on June 7th 2005, I figured I would note my entire experience with you just to give you an idea on what you'll be going through.

I arrived at the hospital 1 hour before surgery. I was put into a hospital gown and the nurses started an IV and took all my vitals. Then the anehstesiologist (sp) came in and explained a little bit to me, followed by my surgeon (podiatrist) who went over the entire surgery with me again. Soon after that, they wheeled me into the OR where the Dr. started the meds and I fell asleep in no time. I woke up 30 minutes later back in my original room. I felt great, just a little confused!! LOL As far as my foot, there was no pain at all. It was wrapped in VERY bulky gauze with a stockinette over top of it. The nurse helped me get dressed, and I was on my way home, with a total time in the hospital of about 3 1/2 hours. I was prescribed Vicoprofen, which is just Vicodin mixed with Ibuprofen. I got home and still had no pain at all, but I took a pain pill just so the pain would not hit. The post op directions I was given were the following...Non weight bearing (completely on crutches) for 1 month, do not get area wet, pull up on the foot atleast 6 times a day so area wouldn't tighten up.
My first post op appt was one week later. I basically went in, the Dr. changed the dressing and looked at the area. The next appt was at 2 weeks post op. At this appt, the Dr. checked the area, removed sutures ( had 12 total) redressed area, and sent me for post op x-rays. He told me I could start puting my show on with orthotics in place, but to remain the non weight bearing until my next appt at 1 month post op. At this appt, he checked area again and told me I could start to walk, I was sooo happy for this. I'm a 23 year old mother of 3 year old twin girls, and I'm telling you, chasing after my children was not easy on crutches.
Well, all that brings to where I am today. My next appt is this Wednesday, 2 months post op. I now walk with no pain. The only time I do feel pain, is when the incision site is hit or rubbed against something. I would have this surgery over again in a heartbeat! I really had no pain during the whole ordeal. If any at all, it was very tolerable. I have a job where I stand all day on concrete, and I was taken off that for 12 weeks.
Hope all this helps you out some!!

denise h on 8/01/05 at 04:23 (179599)

to Lindsy thankyou that is exacly what im looking for. im suppose to have an open release whats the difference in mime and in yours? i stand on concrete all day right now and it is killing my feet. so you went back to work in 3 months ? does it hurt to stand on youre feet for a long time since the surgery? im suppose to have the other foot done when he is through with this one.

Re: To lindsay

denise h on 8/01/05 at 04:29 (179600)

thankyou very very much. and may god bless you. look under denise h for 8/01/05 for the message i sent you back i did it wrong i hope you get it though write me back i have to go to work right now.

Lindsay on 8/01/05 at 08:49 (179619)

Denise-
An open release is the same thing I had. I have not gone back to work yet. It's only been 2 months post op. My next appt is this wed. My pod told me he may release me back to work as soon as next week, but he doubts it because of the work I do.

Re: To Lindsay

denise h on 8/01/05 at 14:32 (179654)

what kind of work do you do? i work on a packline we make grills. and it is murder on my poor feet.chrabriol have you ever heard of them? what kid of bandage did yuo leave the hospital with?

denise h on 8/01/05 at 14:37 (179655)

hey where was the incision made on top of youre foot or bottom?

Re: To Denise

Lindsay on 8/01/05 at 17:48 (179675)

Ok Denise...First the incision was about 2 inches long on the inside of my heel. Second, I left the hospital with a very bulky dressing on. It was several pieces of gauze piled up ontop of the incision, with about 2 rolls of kurlex wrapped on top of it. It looked pretty funny, nice and huge!! I work in a factory where we assemble fiberglass parts for tractors...like hoods, 3/4 quarter panels and all that. I basically walk all day on concrete and loan and unload machines.

denise h on 8/01/05 at 19:11 (179679)

am i bothering you or something i juse enjoy talking to someone with the same things going on.i stand on coccrete floors all day too.it is really hard for my feet . it hurts really bad right now.but in oct -june i drive a forklift but in the summer months when things slow down i have to go to another department and thats why my feet are so messed uped right now . where are you from? i live in columbus ga.

denise h on 8/01/05 at 19:13 (179680)

oh my e-mail adress is (email removed).

Lindsay on 8/01/05 at 22:01 (179688)

No, you're not bothering me at all I was just trying to answer all your questions. I love to share my experiences with other people whom it could help! I'm from a very small town in the Northeast corner of Indiana.

My email address is (email removed)

Re: to lindsay

denise h on 8/21/05 at 18:01 (180951)

hey ive made it through the surgery just waiting to go back for my preop app. so whats next now it has been five days now since my surgery and the only pain i feel is just a little when im on it it alot going to the bathroom and to get something to eat when nobody is here.but so far the pain is not bothering me except for the first two days they where rough so tell me whats up for me next?