Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

pain in right heel.

Posted by Dorian C. on 7/31/05 at 10:26 (179530)

I work just 8 hours a day. I work in a Distrubition Center on hard flooring with no mat. Since Thursday of last week I noticed pain in my right heel. It feels like I stepped on a hug rock and the pain won't subside. My friend told me about Arch Support. When I get up in the morning and hit the floor I feel the most pain, towards the middle of the day it gets worse. What can I take and/or do to get through the day without heel pain?

Sincerely,Dorian

Re: pain in right heel.

Dr. Z on 7/31/05 at 14:50 (179544)

Hi
Take a look at the powersteps on this site. Also do the plantar fascia stretch every day.
It sounds like you have the beginning of plantar fasciitis. Use the search engine for the plantar fascia stretch. The power step is on the product section of this site.

Larry Huppin, DPM on 7/31/05 at 19:44 (179573)

Wear stable shoes, use a good arch support, don't go barefoot AT ALL for the next several weeks, do the stretches found on this page, ice several times per day, take an anti-inflammatory like aleve or advil if you don't have a medical reason to avoid them. If you are not somewhat improved in a week or still having symptoms in 3 weeks, see a podiatrist.

Dr. Z on 7/31/05 at 19:51 (179574)

Dr. Huppin,
When you get a chance would you discuss biomechanical orthosis and how they help plantar fasciitis. I think your experise with orthosis would go a very long way with educating our posters on this site. Types of orthosis, how you know you are getting value, the correct orthosis and anything else you can think of. Thanks for posting

Cheryl S. on 7/31/05 at 20:51 (179579)

Hello,I am 47 yrs old and overweight and have pain in my right heel,especially when I get up in the night and in the morning.
My Doctor says it is a heel spur and told me to do some stretches and tried to give me a prescription for it called KETOPROFEN but it caused loose bowels and blood in the bowelsso I cant take that for the pain until I see him again in another week.
So my question to you is I like to ride my bicycle and I was wondering if that would be making it worse or could it be helping me?
Thank you
Cheryl Summers

Tina H on 8/01/05 at 09:42 (179632)

Hi Cheryl, many people ride bikes with PF(heel pain). Read Scott's book, contiue with the stretches given to you by your doctor, wear only good supportive shoes. I always found biking to be beneficial but everyone is different. Use you pain as a guide for what is working. Tina

Larry Huppin, DPM on 8/03/05 at 14:47 (179870)

OK, I'll put some genteral info up tomorrow on orthotics

Larry Huppin, DPM on 8/03/05 at 14:48 (179871)

Should I put the orthotic info on 'ask the doctors' or 'orthotics' forum?

Dr. Z on 8/03/05 at 15:52 (179878)

The orthosis section. Make sure you sign who you are and check off good for the newletter which I a sure if will be. Again there are alot of mis-conception about biomechanical orthosis and their role in the treatment for plantar fasciitis.