Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

A non-weight bearing note

Posted by Dorothy on 8/01/05 at 14:59 (179663)

Today the August 2005 edition of the 'Alternatives' newsletter from Dr. David Williams arrived. In it was a short article about a cardiovascular workout that caused me to think of the many posters here who have wanted CV workouts that don't involve being on the feet. I can't reproduce the entire article but will hit some highlights: 'Several years ago there was a report that orchestra conductors live long,healthy lives......it was believed that their longevity could be attritubed to their constant exposure to classical music....however, the health benefits from conducting an orchestra may be not from the music but, instead, from the actual physical activity involved....To conduct an orchestra, a conductor must keep his/her arms elevated for extended periods, during which time they are in constant motion.....Both of these conditions place an additional load on the heart muscle. Due to the smaller blood vessels in the arms, even under normal circumstances, the heart must work two and half to three times harder to pump blood through the arms than through the legs. Additionally, with the arms elevated and muscles requiring more oxygen, the heart must pump harder to push the oxygenated blood uphill as the veins drain extra blood down to the heart....We know from other studies that to strengthen the heart muscle you have to increase your pulse rate at least 20 beats a minute over your resting pulse rate. Conducting an orchestra can raise the pulse rate to over 100 beats a minute, which makes it an excellent exercise for strengthening the heart....You can utilize this information by engaging in a very simple exercise routine to improve the strength of your heart....'Conducting' music from your radio at home can provide the same benefits. It's easy enough to grab a stick, wand, coat hanger, or whatever; play some classical music on your sterio or radio and get started. It's an exercise that practically anyone can do regardless of the current condition of his or her health. Start slowly and gradually try to work up to at least three or four 30-minute sessions a week. You'll see that just being able to hold your arms up and out for that long is a great upper-body exercise....' This is an abridged version of Dr. Williams' article. If one truly cannot do ANY weight-bearing, one could do this upper-body work and then do some 'marching' in place while seated, or some other variation. It's hard to find great cardiovascular workouts when you can't stand on your feet - here's one suggestion for something to try.

This is my second of two last posts. If I have already been blocked,then you won't see this. I hope the owner or some 'acceptable' poster will quickly copy this and re-post it under an acceptable name. So long, folks.

Re: A non-weight bearing note

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/01/05 at 21:54 (179687)

You have come here with valuable information and a desire to help people in need. I really don't see any reason for your to be blocked. Blocking people is not and should not be a mechanism of 'ganging up' on some. It is simply a means of protecting those already in pain from individuals with an agenda, have hard feelings which have caused them to misinform others. It certainly is not a mechanism to collectively state disagreement with a treatment philosophy or set of ideas. In other words, if your goal is to help those with plantar fasciitis, you are very welcome. Previously, I objected to the banning of political discussion but now have to agree with Scott's decision becasue it was taking us, including me, way too far off topic. The 'Social Board,' to some extent, has always been the place for 'miscellaneous' posts but as long as the intent of those posts is to do no one harm, then I cannot see any impetus to ban them.

john h on 8/01/05 at 22:39 (179695)

Dorothy: Did you read this week that President Bush's resting heart rate is 46! That is sort of world class. He works out 6 days a week and has a body fat of 16%. That is rather good for a 55+ man.

Kathy G on 8/02/05 at 08:55 (179717)

My resting heart rate is between 95 and 100. It was when I was a little girl. I can remember my pediatrician telling me that doctors would always question me about it but that it was normal for me and nothing was wrong.

I was a tomboy, swam every day in the summer and rode my bicycle everywhere. I never walked if I could run. As an adult, the most physically fit I think I ever was when I did 'Sweatin' to the Oldies' every other day. Heart rate: 100.

When I had my first colonoscopy recently, I heard the nurses talking about heart rate and I looked at the monitor. It was 105. I told them to relax; that was nothing for me.

I assume that when I die, my heart rate will be 46 like Bush's!

John H on 8/02/05 at 11:34 (179735)

Kathy: My resting heart rate is normally around 68. 80 is considered normal When I once ran up hills I could jack it up to 180. My wife's is probably around 55. I wore a watch with a heart rate monitor when I was big into running. Of course all the new machines at the health clubs measure your heart rate as you ride the bike or walk the treadmill, etc. A resting heart rate of 95-100 sound high to me. Is it that high when you take your blood pressure at home? Why do your Doctors tell you it is that high? I think it would not be uncommon to have a heart rate of 105 having some medical procedure. Many people have so called 'white coat' high blood pressure and heart rate. Just the sight of the Doctor drives up their blood pressure and heart rate.

Kathy G on 8/02/05 at 11:40 (179736)

No one has ever bothered to do any tests. It's that high at home, too. They think it's just normal for my body. Actually, I did have an EKG done back when I was about thirty-four, before surgery, and it came out fine. They did make note of the fact that I had an extremely high heart rate.

In the late sixties, it almost cost me a job. I went for a company physical and the doctor kept coming out to take my bp and heart rate. Finally it occurred to me that he thought I was doing speed! I was so angry with him. I quickly explained that he could check with my own physician and he would back me up when I said it was normal for me. He did and I cleared the physical.