Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What is really important

Posted by john h on 8/02/05 at 22:33 (179778)

A day or so past I posted that we should not get to emotional on the board about things that are really not all that important in the big scheme of things in life.

Yesterday, a Doctor friend of mine lost his 11 year old daughter in a traffic accident on her way home from a swim meet.

As I get older I can more accurately hone in on what is worth getting emotional over. Keep your eye on the ball. Enjoy life as best you can. In the military we had a saying 'Don't sweat the small stuff'!

Re: What is really important

Tina H on 8/03/05 at 08:12 (179796)

John, You so right! I'm sorry for your friend, how horrible. Life is really too short to squabble it away. Tina

Kathy G on 8/03/05 at 08:18 (179798)

I'm so sorry to hear of your friend's loss, John. Yes, it's unfortunate that it takes age and experiencing some of life's tragedies to make us realize that some things just aren't worth getting upset about.

LindaV on 8/03/05 at 08:51 (179804)

Sorry about your friends daughter, John. You are right that we have to keep our life worries in perspective. In oncology, we have a saying, Eat Dessert First. I remember once when I was always is a frantic mode getting all worked up over everything. My brother told me to write all my troubles down, put them in a sealed envelope, and not open it for a year. I did it. I was amazed that I was wasting energy worrying over stupid things like my daughters boyfriend I didn't like (she dumped him anyway), arguing with my husband over household repairs (couldn't even remember why)...etc Now, when I get uptight...I remind myself of that.

marie on 8/03/05 at 09:39 (179813)

So very true.