Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

weight gain

Posted by MARTI on 8/03/05 at 08:57 (179806)

HAS ANYONE ELSE GAINED WEIGHT BECAUSE OF PF AS WE ARE SITTING SO MUCH!!!! I HAVE GAINED 7 POUNDS!UGH BUT I CANT WALK WHICH IS WHAT I HAVE ALWAYS DONE!!!!GREAT FAT AND HURTINING FEET!!!! HA HA
MARTI

Re: weight gain

KR on 8/03/05 at 09:16 (179807)

YES!!! I have too. My clothes are tight now! But I can't go out shopping for larger ones b/c I can't walk! Can't seem to win. I have tried other forms of exercise, but I just can't get excited about anything since I enjoyed walking and aerobics so much. Oh well, hopefully this will pass soon.

MARTI on 8/03/05 at 09:22 (179809)

KR HOW LONG HAVE U HAD THIS??? GOING ON 3 MONTHS FOR ME!!!! I KNOW WE CANT GO SHOPPING FOR BIGGER CLOTHS CAUSE WE CANT WALK!!!!LOL

KR on 8/03/05 at 11:23 (179833)

Marti - I am starting on my 6th month. I have a seen a little, and i stress little, improvement over the last two weeks. So I am hoping that maybe I am rounding the corner or starting to?? But still very painful to walk and not even thinking about wanting to exercise! Will be glad when this is over! But I can share with you on the weight gain. It's very discouraging to have the PF problem and then to gain weight on top of it all, it's just icing on the cake!

MARTI on 8/03/05 at 11:57 (179837)

WELL ARNT WE A PAIR!!!LOL IM 3 MOS AND SEE NOTHING AT THIS POINT. DID YOU GET SHOTS, SPLINTS????NO SHOTS BUT USE SPLINTS. WEAR BIRKS ALL THE TIME!!!CANT GO ANYWHERE!!! HATE IT. THANK GOD I DONT WORK!!!!!TELL ME WHAT HAS HELPED U THE MOST!!! ICE IS GOOD ALSO!!!! LOVE THIS BOARD!!!!

KR on 8/03/05 at 13:14 (179855)

I am the same, I have not done the shots. I have PF in both feet. My pain is mainly in the arch, so I have been told I probably would not benefit from the injections. I have been wearing night splints for 5 months now. I wear them 8-9 hours a day at work and sleep in them. One week I did not wear them and could tell a huge differnce - more pain. Probably the thing that has helped me the most is active release and massage. I have been going once a week for massage to 'unlock' my back, hips, and leg muscles. Apparently my muscles are tight and they think that might be causing my trouble. Unfortunately, it is expensive so if i do not continue to see results I will have to quit. I got custom orthotics too and those made me worse so I stopped wearing them. I think my shoes have helped me a lot. I live in NC and there is a shoe store here that helps people that have PF, they put me in Brooks Ariel shoes and I wear those all the time. Another is I stretch every morning for 30 mins before I put a foot on the floor. I stretch my legs and back. I alternate with heat and ice now too. I have been told I do not have inflammation anymore, or the dr does not think so. I have learned a lot of this is trial and error. I am the same, I do not do much of anything or go anywhere. I have the best husband in the world who does all of the cooking, cleaning, laundry - i think he's willing to do everything so I can rest and hurry up and get better. I am blessed with that. But even with a lot of rest, it still is taking a long time to get better. Much longer than I would have originally thought.

MARTI on 8/03/05 at 18:07 (179904)

KR WE ARE SOOOOOOOOOOMUCH ALIKE!!!!! MY HUBBY DOES MOST EVERYTHING ALSO!!!1I TRY TO DO THE LAUNDRY!!! MY KIDS ARE GROWN THANK GOD!!!HAVENT DONE HEAT!!! WEAR THE BIRKS ALLLLLLLL THE TIME. NEED SOME GOOD SNEAKERS. I LIVE IN FLA.I CANT GET ORTHODICS CAUSE INSURANCE WONT PAY FOR THEM BUT ALOT OF PEOPLE DONT SEEM TO LIKE THEM!!! ICE STRETCH AND SPLINTS AND OH YES SIT AND EAT BON BONS!!!LOL AND WE WONDER WHY THE WEIGHT!!LOL WATCH ALOT OF TV!!!I WONDER WHAT I WOULD DO IF SOMETHING SPECIAL CAME UP AND I HAVE NO SHOES AND NOTHING FITS ME!!!LOL LETS HANG IN TOGETHER FRIEND!!
MARTI

Kathy G on 8/03/05 at 19:04 (179911)

Marti,

Weight gain is one of the sad side effects of PF, it seems. As for me, I wore a size 8 when I first started having foot trouble and now I'm up to a size 12. At one point, my weight went up so much that I went on WeightWatchers online and that helped me get off what I absolutely had to lose and I watch what I eat now. I've never had to watch what I eat so that was probably one of the hardest adjustments for me, aside from the PF pain. Now I've kind of leveled off at the size 12 but I know I'd be slimmer if I could be as active as I'd like to be.

Many people find swimming helps them. Do you like to swim? You live in Florida. Are you near the ocean or a pond or pool? If you have access to a health club or a YWCA, many of them offer non-weight bearing classes for people with arthritis. Perhaps you could do that. I can't because I'm allergic to chlorine although in the fall, I'm hoping to visit the nearby club and see if I'm still as bad as I used to be.

As for dressy shoes, many of us have gone through that and it isn't fun! I have a pair of Josef Seibel sandals that I wear to weddings. Heaven help me if I have to go to a winter wedding! (I live in NH) We've had many discussions on the Social Board about dressy footwear.

Birkenstock makes some nice dressy sandals so maybe you could find some that you'd like. There's a company called Birkenstock Express online that has many styles and if you want other company names, just go to the shoes, orthotics board and post.

About orthotics. For me, Julie's yoga stretches, rest and then more rest and my orthotics are what have allowed me to get around with less pain. My PF is complicated by a Morton's Neuroma and osteoarthritis so don't think it lasts for a long time for everyone, it doesn't. Anyhow, what I was going to say was that if you got to a Certified Pedorthist, or a C.Ped as we call them on the Board, you will find they are usually offer more reasonably priced orthotics and if you go to one who's good, they are often just as knowledgeable about PF. (Sorry, Dr. Z!)

If you go to the Orthotics board, you'll see many posts there from one of our resident C.Peds., Richard, who's as nice as a guy as you'd ever want to meet and smart besides.

I didn't get orthotics for a few years and I was sorry I didn't when I found out how much they helped me.

Hope I've helped some. And good luck with the weight!

Re: A correction

Kathy G on 8/03/05 at 19:09 (179913)

That should have been Julie's foot yoga. Just click on the link. Sorry!