Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Healthtronics Sells Orthopedic Assets!

Posted by john on 8/03/05 at 13:52 (179864)

It's official. Healthtronics is no longer in the orthopedic lithotripsy business. They have sold their business to SanuwWave. Here is a link to the news release http://money.netscape.cnn.com/ns/pf/news_story.jsp?id=2005080212364010213865&dt=20050802123600&w=BW&coview=&TickerSymbols=HTRN

SanuWave looks like a spin-off of some sort. Only time will tell if SanuWave has any previous Healthtronics employees. It is based in Georgia.

Re: Healthtronics Sells Orthopedic Assets!

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/04/05 at 17:43 (180002)

Interesting. I knew that Healthtronics got out of the ESWT business but did not know that they actually sold their business. The Ossatron, as a non-office based unit worked wbut made treatment somewhat costly. I had long suggested to Healthtronics that they change to an office based, lower cost model. I would be happy to speak to the SanuWave people to explain the means of doing so.
Ed

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/04/05 at 17:56 (180003)

Ed,
I was introduce to ESWT by the owner of Healthronic back in 1998. I wanted to take the ossatron and place them in mobile units like I do with the dornier. They didn't like the idea because Healthsouth already had an agreement to buy a part of healthronics right from the start. The mobile unit is the best way to do this treatment.

John H on 8/05/05 at 09:50 (180044)

Dr. Z: If you remember one of the Healthtronic moguls posted on our board for some time. He may have been one of the founders. He is the one, that as I recall, paid for the original Ossastron 5 or 6 to go to Canada free gratis to receive Ossatron treatments. Scott was one of these people. Some years ago he sold his stock as I recall, and left Healthtronics.

At this time Dr. Z had the only machine that was being used in the U.S. (Orby__) which has long since gone south. The Ossatron had not yet been approved by the FDA for use in the U.S. The Ossatron reminds me of the war between Beta and VHS formats. Beta was a very good if not superior product. Healthtronics chose to have their equipment tested by the FDA using a protocol which required a general anathesia and a hospital setting. The follow on equipment has not required this protocol and may be the death of the Ossatron.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/05/05 at 10:36 (180050)

John H
The owner and founder was John Warlick. He was a former employee for Dornier. I had the pleasure of meeting him in person in Vienna. He is involved with ESWT and wound healing now.
The USA is the only place where they put you to sleep. Dr. Gordon in Canada used IV sedation on select cases and in most of Europe and Asia, its local anesthetic.
I have always been with the opinion that ossatron could work well as a true mobile unit

John H on 8/05/05 at 10:49 (180052)

I spoke with Dr. Gordon for about thirty minutes on the phone some years ago. He was kind euough to call me. He had access to several machines at that time and told me in my case he would probably used the Ossatron as I had prior foot surgery therefore more scar tissue to deal with. I think Dr. Gordon did several of the Ossatron 6 people from the board on the trip paid for by John Warlick. The only one still on the board from that group is of course scottr. Every once in a while one will appear. They all must be doing ok?

john h on 8/05/05 at 19:52 (180087)

Dr. Z: Did you note the post by a Podiatrist who has a Sonocur machine for sale? Might not be a bad idea to offer both types of treatment (low and high power). Sounds like the price might be right.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/08/05 at 12:13 (180202)

John H
Hi We can and do use both high and low energy with the dornier. The dornier has the ability to use low , medium and high energy with outline ultrasound on top of that. If more insurance companies paid for CLE with the sonocur under the correct code 0019T then the purchase would be worth looking into
Thanks for thinking of me

John H on 8/09/05 at 10:44 (180245)

Dr. Z: If you use it in the low energy mode do you use a protocol similar to the Sonocur such as using multiple treatments spaced a day a part? Does the FDA allow this modality with the Donier? Since the Donier must cost a lot more I assume you could not do the multiple treatments at the same price as a Sonocur?