Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Sudden pain between big toe & next toe...

Posted by CantWalkOnFoot on 8/03/05 at 17:48 (179897)

I've acquired a sudden pain resulting in severe swelling on the top of my left foot just down from the big toe and the toe next to it. It is now a constant pain mainly from the swelling which has become so immense that I cannot stand on it for any length of time without tremendous pain. Feels like a broken toe, although I can't figure out what I could have done to break it. I wear steel-tip work shoes and work on a concrete floor for 8 to 10 hours a night (3rd shift). I've had the heel problems before when I start this job back in '99 and it came and went. I am 6' 2' and about 200-210 lbs. and am 48 years old. This foot has been injured in the past (1996-7) on the tips of the toes fracturing them on the ends under the nails but I healed from that. When not at work I usually walk barefoot around the carpeted house. Any ideas on what this might be would be greatly appreciated. I've entertained the notion of fallen arches from a friend's description of his injury when he was younger. I'm not sure now.

Re: Sudden pain between big toe & next toe...

elvis on 8/03/05 at 18:02 (179903)

You need to rule out gout. Have a uric acid blood level taken. By the way I am not a doctor but it sounds like it may be gout. Here's a link explaining gout:

and a couple of pictures (since I've never seen it):

The full size image won't come up on the last one but I think you get the picture.

Good luck!

Robert J. Sanfilippo, DC, CCSP, ART on 8/03/05 at 20:31 (179926)

I would go to the doctor and have your foot evaluated. I would have blood work performed to rule out gout and I'd also x-ray to rule out conditions such as Morton's neuroma or stress fracture.

CantWalkOnFoot on 8/04/05 at 06:14 (179939)

Thank you Dr. Sanfilippo. I researched a little more after I entered this posting and read about the Morton's Toe, which by-the-way, I do have a longer second toe than the big toe and have always had problems catching it on wall edges and furniture when walking barefoot throughout the house. So from what I read and saw in pictures of the areas of irritation, this diagnosis could be a viable canidate. I've taken the night off from work and that has allowed me some good rest and elevated the foot throughout my sleep. Along with a dosing of Naproxen Sodium tablets and some Acetaminophen, Aspirin (Excedrin) the constant pressure and pain has subsided to practically none. Although when standing on it it's still present that something's not right at the base of the second toe, the most tenderous spot. I will try to get in to see my doctor this morning an kill to birds with one visit. I also have hypertension and have been on HBP prescription for over a year now and my yearly refills are about to run out, so this visit was in the plans already. He'll just have more to diagnose. Thanks again for the direct input.

john king on 8/04/05 at 07:47 (179943)

Don't go barefoot. Wear shoes all the time.