Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

TREADMILL

Posted by MARTI on 8/04/05 at 09:55 (179959)

CAN WE USE A TREADMILL WITH PF??? I HATE GAINING WEIGHT AND NOT EXCERISING??
MARTI

Re: TREADMILL

John H on 8/04/05 at 10:05 (179964)

I have been told by a Doctor that I would be better served by walking on a track or outside than on a treadmill. I do not know this to be a fact but for what it is worth--

Ralph on 8/04/05 at 10:39 (179969)

I tried both a treadmill and walking outside and to be honest both hurt my feet. I just had a stress test done and I have to tell you I was worried about using their treadmill.

I wondered if I could be on it long enough to raise my heart rate high enough because of my P.F. not because I had difficulty breathing.

I've seen patients get the injection stress test and I sure as heck didn't want that done. I was determined to stay on that treadmill until they said I could get off even with foot pain. Taping my feet really helped me that day.

I think you can try any exercise, but if you feel foot pain that is telling you to stop and try something else.

Dorothy recently posted an interesting article about exercise that I had not heard before. I'm doing it and I have to say it's difficult. I've no where mastered a 1/2 hr. yet. Check Dorothy's back posts and start waving your arms around like you are conducting an orchestra. Guaranteed you'll be tired in 10 minutes and you will not have moved off your chair.

Lots of others post about swimming so you might consider that too.

Norm W on 8/04/05 at 19:03 (180008)

I hate treadmills.After by pass heart surgery in Aug 03,I signed up for
cardiac rehab.Included in that was 20 minutes of treadmill 3 times a week.
After 18 weeks,I had to quit because I had developed PF in my left heel.
I've been suffering ever since,damned treadmill. I gave my home treadmill
to the Vietnams vets last monday. I've had cortisone shots,tried the
Super Feet 'greenies' and other exercises with no improvement. I finally
'Googled' Plantar Fasciitis and came up with http://www.HEEL-THAT-PAIN.com They
sell an item that they supposedly having been working on for 30 years. It's
called HTP Heel Seats. I ordered a pair($24.95) and started wearing them
on June 28th. They said it may take up to 4 weeks to obtain any results,
and they were right. I'm very,very satisfied,my heel pain is almost gone
after 4 weeks and a few days. I'm going to order a few more pair for my
other shoes soon. PS their phone # is 877-215-3200 and they are located in
Yorba Linda, Ca. If this helps one person,then it was worth writing. Good
luck, Norm in sunny Colo.

Orfie on 8/04/05 at 19:41 (180017)

I was told by my doctor not to use a treadmill because of the hard impact. He says to use a bicyle and leg strectches.

Dr. Drezner on 8/05/05 at 07:13 (180030)

I have seen many patients with PF whose sole means of exercising has been a treadmill. I usually tell patients not to use a treadmill and instead walk.

John H on 8/05/05 at 09:33 (180039)

Norm: The shoes you wear are probably as important as the insert. What kind of shoes do you wear?

John H on 8/05/05 at 09:37 (180042)

Ralph I also did a stress test with my PF on a treadmill. Really did not bother me but I guess it depends on how bad your PF is. I could have gone on another 30 minutes I think when the Doctor said he had seen all he needed to. My heart works ok. My feet do not.

Ralph on 8/05/05 at 12:34 (180056)

I don't think the test depends on how long you can go. They just want to stress your heart by getting it up to a target rate based on age ect.

This is the first time my test consisted totally of walking on an incline. No flat land at all. First slowly like I was dragging my feet through tons snow then more elevation with higher speeds until I thought I was climbing Mt. Everest very rapidly. Actually faster speed works better with higher elevations on a treadmill for me so I like it a lot more when they turned on the speed.

By the way, the condo is A ok. Now just the formality of the usual paperwork.

Rose on 8/07/05 at 19:37 (180179)

I do five water classes a week. I tread water for a minimum fr 30 minutes while doing the exercises. It is very aerobic and does snot hurt the feet. strongly recommend water as very healaing to the feet, to the back, and for aerobic activity. But don't let your feet touch the bottom.

Joe A on 8/11/05 at 17:23 (180403)

In my opinion (and I'm not a doctor), a treadmill is worse than normal walking due to the inclination of the tread mill. Its like continuously walking up-hill. That puts more strain on your PF than walking flat. If your treadmill goes completely flat then this might not be an issue.