Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT multiple treatments

Posted by Sondra on 8/04/05 at 13:26 (179980)

Is is recommended to have more than 1 treatment of ESWT? I had both feet done in Nov and Dec 2002 or 2003 (can't remember) and it worked for awhile, but now my feet are really barking again. I have seen my podiatrist who has said since we have done all conservative treatments surgery is the only alternative left. I would like to do the ESWT again to see if it helps. I am resorting to buying products on the internet to see if I can get any comfort there. Do you have information for me on multiple ESWT treatments? Thanks!

Re: ESWT multiple treatments

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/04/05 at 13:32 (179981)

Hi
I would go with the 2nd ESWT treatment. Make sure that pf is the cause of your problems. I have healed many patients that are in your specific situation.
If you want additional information. Please feel free to contat me at (email removed)

Sondra on 8/04/05 at 15:08 (179991)

Dr. Zuckerman-
How do I go about convincing my Dr. to do the ESWT again? I am going to go to another Podiatrist to get another opinion and have an appt. scheduled for the 15th, but am wanting to talk to them about doing an MRI as I think it would help in seeing actually what is going on in my feet. How do you feel about this and do you have any suggestions? I appreciate all your correspondence and wish that I had found this website before.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/04/05 at 15:48 (179994)

What machine was used for your treatment. I may have studies showing second treatment success for various machines. IT is well know that a second treatment can be success even when a first give no relief.

Sondra on 8/04/05 at 15:56 (179995)

Ossatron

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/04/05 at 16:11 (179997)

This is literature publised by Dr. Odgen, medical director for healthronics and FDA chief investigator, that shows how well patients did with second treatments with the use of the ossatron. It is very well known in the ESWT community that second treatment can give you relief when first don't. I would contact the company if your physician refuses to discuss a 2nd treatment.

george on 8/04/05 at 18:32 (180007)

i have pf had for over year and a half had two eswt treatments the pain was in my right heel at rear when i had my first eswt it moved to the insertion point waited about 6 months no releif ,had second eswt no releif wated approx 1 year thought i would never run again or waik , had third treatment by foot ankle md 2 days ago so far i am pain free no pain when walking thats the first for me. ohio

Sondra on 8/04/05 at 19:38 (180016)

Interesting George. And I am struggling with getting my Dr. to do it a 2nd time. I am going to send this thread to one of his gals in the office as I think having it done again would be beneficial as I do not want the cutting surgery.

Sondra on 8/05/05 at 14:02 (180060)

Dr. Z, where can I find to print off Dr. Odgen's literature on the 2nd treatments? Thanks

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/05/05 at 15:21 (180062)

Foot and Ankle International
' Ten heels had unacceptable fair pain relief at three months. All 10 heels received a second ossatron treatment' . In this group 50% had complete relief after a second treatment.' If you e-mail with your fax number and e-mail I will get this to you asap

Dr. Z on 8/05/05 at 19:26 (180082)

George,
When you say rear are you talking about Achilles Tendon area.?

Sondra on 8/09/05 at 09:32 (180240)

Dr. Z, I emailed you on my yahoo mail to get this info sent to me as I would LOVE to have this to use as backup to ESWT 2nd treatment documentation. Did you get my email? I sent again to reinerate. Thanks!! You have been a great help!

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/09/05 at 10:25 (180243)

Hi

I did get it. I am waiting to see if I can get this from Excellence Library in a PDF file. IF not I will fax it to you

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/09/05 at 12:31 (180250)

Hi
I have the article in a pdf file from the Excellence ESWT library. E-mail at (email removed) and I will send it over to you

GEORGE on 8/09/05 at 21:39 (180291)

I HAVE HADE TOTAL OF THREE ESWT BY DONNIER FIRST ONE LITTLE RELIFE SECOND A LITTLE MORE WENT TO A ANOTHER MD FOR THE THIRD, HE WORKED THE INSIRTION POINT ITS ONLY BEEN 8 DAYS PUT SO FAR NO PAIN AT ALL TRY SECOND OR THIRD SOME PEOPLE SAY IF THE FIRST OR SECOND DOES NOT WORK NONE WILL I DUE NOT AGREE.

GEORGE on 8/09/05 at 21:43 (180292)

NO INSERTION POINT RIGHT FOOT FRONT PART OF HEEL

Dr. Z on 8/09/05 at 21:59 (180294)

Are we talking about high energy FDA approved treatment with a local anesthetic?

GEORGE on 8/10/05 at 10:10 (180310)

YES, HIGH ENERGEY WITH NERVE BLOCK DR Z I TALKED TO YOU ON PHONE BEFORE IM THE BUCKEYE FROM OHIO

Sondra on 8/15/05 at 15:59 (180557)

George, Did your insurance pay all 3 times? Did you have 1st and 2nd close in time periods? My first was in 2002 and am worried I will not have the relief I have read about people having so am going to consider having it done twice in a such amount of time period that Dr. feels comfortable with and possible eat the 3rd treatment charge as I am sure insurance will bulk at the 2nd treatment. But I am ready for the battle. I have my appt with Dr. on the 31st to talk about 2nd treatment and wondering how to approach the 3rd treatment session when I go just to prepare him that this is what I am thinking that I want to try. Got any suggestions?