Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

MRI report question Help Please!

Posted by Tina H on 8/04/05 at 14:42 (179986)

Regarding my daughters persistant 'pf'. The new doctor told me MRI report was normal meaning there were no stress factures, ruptures,tumors etc and just continue all the conservative measures we've been doing and that he would see her in the fall. I asked for and received a copy of the MRI report for both feet. The foot that had been hard casted (previous doctor) has mild peitendinitis along the distal Achilles tendon. Mild heel pad edema, small developing osseous spur with mild reactive osteitis. Other foot also has heel pad edema, small Haglund Osseous spur,and a small ganglion cyst. Both feet show intact fascia without fibromatosis, fasciitis or tear. So.... What does this mean? Does it mean that she doesn't have pf even though she has all the classic symptoms. What else would be causing the pain? She has pes cavus feet? I welcome any thoughts you may have while we await our appt. in Sept. Thank you, Tina

Re: MRI report question Help Please!

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/04/05 at 14:54 (179988)

Tinn H

Does she have pain at the insertion of the plantar fascia.? Does she have first step morning pain.
Is the pain at the Achilles tendon insertion or in the lower leg.
Was the doctor able to examine your daughter and cause any pain with physical palpation. If so where?

Tina H on 8/04/05 at 15:05 (179990)

She has the classic pf pain,morning pain, bottom of heel,at insertion of plantar fascia, and yes it is painful with palpitation. Everytime she goes to the doctors and they press on that area it's very painful and then it's even more sore for a few days after from them pressing on it. No real Achilles pain, although she had a bit of discomfort there after getting the cast off of left foot, but that seems to have gone away now, 2 months later. What do you think? Does it mean that it's not pf.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/04/05 at 15:47 (179993)

Tina H
An ultrasound will show plantar fasciitis or fasciosis when the MRI is normal. From what you have told me I feel she has plantar fascisois

Tina H on 8/04/05 at 16:01 (179996)

Thanks Dr. Z, I'll educate myself about the differance between fasciitis and fasciosis. I know it's been discussed here before. This is such a frustrating case! Thank you! Tina

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/04/05 at 16:12 (179998)

Fasciitis- inflamed tissue will respond to conservative treatment
Fasciosis- degenerative tissue poor response to conservative treatment. This is where ESWT is most effective or surgery

Tina H on 8/04/05 at 16:34 (179999)

Okay thank you! I understand. Maybe she will be getting ESWT after all.