It's too soon for surgery. Do all the conservative treatments first.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Heel Pain Message Board ]

Posted by Melissa on August 10, 1998 at 20:37:00:
Carol,

I agree with Ginny. It is way too soon to consider surgery. EPF is a last resort. Some of your options are stretching exercises for at least a month, ice, night splint (takes a few weeks to know if that works) more cortisone (up to two more shots), strapping, physical therapy, supportive shoes, anti-inflammatory medication, corticosteroid medication, and orthotics. Cortisone shots should only be done if all the other things I listed don't work.

I'm concerned that your doctor would recommend surgery when you were only diagnosed last Monday. Perhaps you should try to find a more conservative doctor. Statistically, only 10% of PF sufferers require EPF. That means the options I listed above work for 90% of the people.

I can understand that you are confused about this board. This board has a wealth of information and opinions. Read the information keeping in mind that what works for one person may not work for another. No treatment is 100% effective, including EPF (85-95% success rate). Don't put too much weight on any one opinion. After I exhausted all the conservative options above, I mentioned on the board that I was scheduled for EPF. Some people vehemently argued against my having the surgery, and others supported my decision. Ultimately you have to decide and do what is right for you.

Feel free to e-mail me. I hope everything works out for you, and that whatever conservative options you try relieve your pain.

Melissa

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup
Name:
E-Mail: (optional)
Please CHANGE the subject heading below to summarize your response to this post.
Subject:
Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Heel Pain Message Board ]