Back to Message Board . . To Next Most Recent Message

Re: Think carefully before Cortisone Shots

Posted by beej on 11/15/98
My orthopedic doctor says he never recommends cortisone shots for pf because they can destroy the heelpads. I suggest you get two or three opinions before having cortisone shots in your heels. He also said he had pf for three years before he found that foot strengthening exercises were the only thing that cured him and prevented recurrence. I had been seeing a podiatrist who gave me prescribed hard orthotics (didn't do a thing for me), put me in a soft cast for 4 weeks (again no help), gave me stretching exercises (okay), ultrasound (felt better for a short time--about an hour). I then went to an acupuncturist (which didn't help me for this but has in the past for other soft tissue injuries) and finally am trying this guy. Will do foot strengthening exercises for 6 months to see what happens. In the meantime, icing helps and so do over the counter anti-inflammatories. I have not tried glucosomine sulfate yet but others swear by it. Just keep trying everything you can find--including shoes, inserts, etc. It is a real learning experience and no fun! Best, Barbara

Follow Ups To This Message:

Post A Followup To This Message:

Name:
E-Mail: (optional)
Modify the subject heading below to summarize your response.
Subject:
Comments: